Joining the Spec V club ----- My Spec V 5g Build Thread

jw20vt

Hardware

• ​Fluval Spec V 5.5g Aquarium
  • Aqueon 50w Submerge Heater **Currently in the filter chamber**
  • OEM Return Pump
  • OEM LED Light

Filteration

I am currently running the tank without the OEM sponge filter that Fluval provides. I have been dissapointed in a small way with how the filteration is working. I am not sure if its just myself not being too familiar with Overflow wall's/boxs since I just have always used canisters or AC70's and other HOB filters but there doesn't seem to be a lot of flow going over the overflow wall slots. I was told to try and block off the slot in the lower part of the wall , after looking around the forums and google it appears its one of the first MOD's users do when they are using this for reef purpose. After blocking this off to test the idea out I do notice a small increase in flow over the overflow wall but still not as much as I am wanting.

I have a filter pad installed at the bottom of the filter chamber to prevent anything being pulled through to the pump/return chamber. Besides that I have a small bag of ceramic rings and small bag of carbon sitting in the filter chamber without the sponge pad that comes with it.

Can anyone help me with there experience with the filtration on this tank? I am wondering if I redo my filter chamber and include the sponge pad Fluval packages with it will I have better flow pulling over the overflow wall?

If not I will be adding another filter , Most likely a canister of some sort since I don't want to add anymore bulk to the tank. I think a HOB like a AC20 or 30 will make the tank way to bulky.

Lighting

Currently running just the OEM LED lightbar provided by Fluval with the Spec V kit. As nice as it is it seems like its not meant for what we use these for. While I save a few more $$ I will be using the Fluval Marine LED I have currently on my FOWLR tank since there is no corals or need for full spectrum in that tank. It has been overkill for that tank since day 1 , as much as I love my blenny and saddleback clown's ... they will have to deal with some normal T5 aquarium lights.

The Fluval Marine lightbar will just be a temp solution , Having some tech background and being just a all around dork :) I would prefer to build a DIY kit from rapidled or steve's led over something premade ..... like the fluval lightbar I'm using already.

​Livestock

The tank has recently finished cycle. I have not added any livestock yet , I started this tank in no special manner. I have a old friend from back in my herp/amphibian days who is now the aquatic manager at the bigger Petco in my area. I like most am hesitant on making some purchases from there but knowing the man who takes care of it I guess takes some resistance away. With his help we went through his stock of nice LR and got some nice purple ones. Besides the LR I purchased at that time nothing else was "Alive" per say , I was going to drop the extra $$ and get a bag of the caribsea bag live sand but after always reading so much on here from you guys and my own experience with my past FOWLR tank , I decided to get just the good caribsea aragonite stuff and also took a few cups of sand from my already established FOWLR tank.

• 5lbs(approx) Live Rock
  • Aragonite Sandbed approx. 1"

​I am planning on doing another big water change and purchase a few frags in a week or so to see how it goes and get things started , after that I am going to start to plan a lighting project and build something with a storm controller and such. BUT...... recently I have been pointed in the direct of the Current orbit marine LED's with the controler already with it. Even though I said I would prefer to build something , I might try one of these out.

I would recommend the cobalt neotherm 50 watt, or if trying to keep price low the hydor theo 50 watt can be had for $19,99... then no upgrade needed! :) I work the night shift so I am always online late btw. Lol. Good luck with the Spec V they are a blast, addictive too. I now have a Spec III set up as a pico frag tank.

Thnks for the reply walters,

I will be getting a neotherm in couple weeks when everythings going. By the looks of it im going to be doing this build slower than I usually setup a tank just because im only able to purchase couple of tjings a week because of finances.

I stopped on the way home and grabbed a decent piece of live rock and a 50w aqueon heater to get things going. This will become my mixing heater when I pickup a neotherm.

Im going to post a few pics later on.... I had a few hitchhikers on the rock who survived the journey home. One of them being a baby serpent star tried getting good pics of it when it was on the bottom of the bucket i have it in while im setting everything up

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year All!

I hope everyones holidays were safe and fun , Since my last post/update my tank has just finished its cycle by the looks of it. I have no Ammo or nitrite readings and a strong nitrate. sooooo did a decent sized water change tonight and now just letting it settle and circulate with no light.

I have a couple questions if I could ask for some opinion/help with some stuff dealing with the Spec V.

The biggest question I have is a important one to me and I have this feeling i'm going to not get answers I like hahaha :) It deals with the filtration on this great tank. I am noticing not much flow through the top of overflow wall. I am wondering if its because I am not running the sponge it came with ???

I have just my heater in the slot with a small bag of carbon and bag of ceramic rings. at the bottom of the filter chamber where the pump is fed I have a piece of filter pad I cut to fit .

Moving on from the filtration I have couple other questions . I am using distilled water like I do with my FOWLR tank and I wanted to use one of the 2part doseing systems I see in LFS and online. I am adding a cal test kit to my arsenal first but was wondering which one people prefer to use. Seachem has a 2part product and also Kent.

I have used both names in past with great success with other additives but wondering if one has a advantage over another?

And last is simple for most of you guys , Which corals should I get for my first in this tank ? I will be using the stock LED lighting for short time , I may build a custom LED retro fit being a big dork and have been wanting to build one after following some of you'z guys and gals builds around here. If I dont build I may go with one of those Orbit Marine LED setups I have started to see more of maybe ?

Thank you all , I will be posting pics later tonight

I have cleaned up my build thread some to start getting this project going. I am going to try and document each step of the way like most do. I will be adding pics in new few days

Can anyone help me out with some ideas on the filtration I asked about the in the OP at the top ?

The flow over the wall probably doesn't appear to be much due to a raised water level and the stock pump. The more water going out the more will come in. I cant recommend enough the minijet 606, easy mod to make it fit and your good to go. That should help a little bit, the other thing I can advise if you want more of a surface skim type action is to lower the water level to just above the beginning of the grating on the false wall. This will create more of a waterfall flow and should only put water level to about half capacity in the back chamber (with the 606 pump, I don't know about stock).

I never worried too much with getting it to flow over in that manner, and filtration seemed to be up to par.

I cant recommend enough the intank media basket either, it has three shelves for your filtration media. (IE filter floss top shelf, chemi pure blue second, purigen 3rd... or however you want to set it up.) He also sells a surface skimmer attachment that basically blocks the grating on the wall to achieve the same result as lowering the water level. (You could also use a piece of plastic or acrylic to cover the grating so you can keep water level higher and achieve as well.)

The first thing I did with my Spec was toss that foam block. Will trap detris and be a nightmare if not cleaned regularly, easier to get a roll of filter floss. Ceramic media isn't needed with live rock, and there are better carbon sources available which work well in the spec.

As for the Current Marine LED it has some pretty nice features, two channels for white and blue. Comes with the current ramp timer pro so set it and forget it. I doubt you can build one with that many features for the price you pay for the current led. It may not have the most impressive PAR ratings but with a shallow tank like the Spec V I think it suits it well.

First corals: GSP, Mushrooms are a good start, GSP will grow like mad and mushrooms have the potential so you may not want them depending on your plans for the tank. Soft corals are another good option., I started with some LPS as well and have had good success.

Hope that helps, enjoy your new spec!

EDIT: Just noticed a question on dosing, for a small tank I don't think its needed unless your going heavy SPS corals. Water changes take care of replenishing the trace elements if you stay on top of them.

Archived