Cultivated Reef

Another hair brained idea.

Justin MD

It has probably been done. But here's my newest nutball idea.

Let's step back for just a bit. My 34g Solana project has a DT with ZERO equipment. Well it needs a return from the sump. But my plan was to cover most of the return with the LR that will be in the DT.

So instead of drilling the floor of the tank. What about drilling the side??? And hang the LR off the return pipe making the floor nearly bare. Nearly meaning I wouldn't be able to do it without some sort of brace to support the weight.

I have this long, pretty ugly, piece of tonga that I can trim to use as the brace I suppose.

I have some plywood I would be willing to cut up in the name of science.

Am I nuts?

It sounds very similar to a tank that is a few below you in the General Section "Check out this Aquascape"

tank.jpg

Holy crap! I guess that's kind of the idea but scaled back about 300%. Not sure I'm sold on the idea. Thanks for the pic.

I'd be wary of hanging LR off the return pipe. Last thing you want is for there to be enough torque on the pipe to crack the glass.

There is no way I would do it like the picture. But maybe with a brace. Kind of takes away from the floating shelf idea but maybe I can build something that will be close.

Holy crap! I guess that's kind of the idea but scaled back about 300%. Not sure I'm sold on the idea. Thanks for the pic.

If you haven't seen yet, this is what it turned out looking like

floating_corals.jpg

How about this.

jon-aquascaping_zps5992a4ec.jpg

Thinking no weir, pipe drilled from the bottom at the back behind scape with a strainer on top.

Alternatively pipe drilled bang centre front to back as well as side to side. Rock scape is built round it, water drains from a hollow in top of the scape.

Just an idea.

Archived