Pod Your Reef

What's killing peppermint shrimp?

Reeferon

I have placed a peppermint shrimp in my tank on two separate occasions. Both times the peppermint shrimp has turned up dead within the week. Any idea what's killing it?

I believe that its either the cleaner shrimp or the emerald crab. I don't think its the fish (2 clowns, 2 chromis, and 2 cardinals)

Same thing happened to me. Bought 2 awesome peps to help me get rid of aptasia. They totally cleared my tank off it and I was gonna reward them with a MVP trophy but gone. Vanished after about a week. I think itnmight be the hermit crabs. Real nasty those buggers.

Deleted User 8

I'm thinking they got it when molting. Peps can molt quite frequently, especially after eating a bunch of aptasia. The go away and hide during that time as they are very vulnerable. Perhaps they are getting preyed upon then. Also, they require adequate levels of iodine to help with the molting process. Very likely there was some issue when molting and your clean up crew did their job.

Also, they are sensitive to nitrates.

Buzz

I say good riddance to them. Those suckers do their job all right....even to the point to taking out my elegance! Thought it was finicky but when I placed another one in the tank the peppermints went right for it like it was a smorgasbord at a diet convention!

reefernanoman

I'm starting to wish something would kill my peppermint. I watched the little bastard finish off one of my frog spawn heads last night! And he does get fed pellets every day. If I see him do this once again, he's outa here

A while back I picked up 2 to try to manage an apt Asia outbreak and my cleaner killed them both within 2 days. I knew it was a risk throwing them in with the cleaner already established in the tank. I looked at it as an expensive meal in the end.

I cannot keep a peppermint shrimp alive no matter what. I can keep any other type of shrimp but not peppermints. All my parameters are good,I acclimate them slowly, no clue to as why they die off. Tried them in different tanks poof arrggh.

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman
I cannot keep a peppermint shrimp alive no matter what. I can keep any other type of shrimp but not peppermints. All my parameters are good,I acclimate them slowly, no clue to as why they die off. Tried them in different tanks poof arrggh.
I wish mine would have died! He was been in my tank for about 4 months, ate all my aptisia, but this morning he was eating my yellow polyps! This is the second coral he has attacked, so I caught him and he's outta here! He was well fed too.

I say good riddance to them. Those suckers do their job all right....even to the point to taking out my elegance! Thought it was finicky but when I placed another one in the tank the peppermints went right for it like it was a smorgasbord at a diet convention!
Yup, they can turn on your corals quickly! I remember a long time ago, I had another peppermint shrimp decimate a screaming green birds nest as soon as I put the frag in my tank right from my hand! I should have learned my lesson back then, since the current peppermint that I have has become a monster coral eater too so he's outta here!

My wife has 2 peppermints and 2 cleaners in a 150. They peppermints seem to care less about the 4-5 large aptasia she has in there. Unless they are farming them.

Archived