SaltCritters.com

New coral beauty - possible ich?

Wjcastiglione

We need pictures to be able to tell! But it is possible that he has ich, they do seem to be prone to getting it. I would try adding garlic extract to their food. I believe it is made by Kent and is at Petco. If your water quality is good there is a good chance your two clowns will not end up with it. Some believe that Ich is always present in tanks and fish only catch it when they are stressed. If it looks really bad you can give him a freshwater dip as well. Also skunk cleaner shrimp can help reduce parasites on fish.

Wjcastiglione

Yeah - I can't get pictures because he's constantly hiding behind a rock.

Will skunk cleaner shrimp have any issues with hermits?

Yes mine lives with tons of hermits. I think the best remedy at this point would be to get kent's garlic extreme. Only feed frozen food for the next few weeks and soak it all in the garlic extract before feeding. Also you can add the garlic directly to the tanks water. I believe it is one drop per 10 gallons. This will not only help your coral beauty but also help your clowns stay healthy. But that said, the skunk cleaner would not hurt! They are very fun shrimp to watch!

Cleaner shrimp have no effect on ich as the parasite is burrowed below the mucus layer of the fish..... FW dips are not an effective cure for ich either ... these are common myths.

If you go the garlic route, keep in mind it isn't a cure and you are basically leaving it up to the fish own immune system to deal with ich. Any stress or newly added fish could become re-infected or the fish may lose the battle.

Hyposalinity, Copper, Transfer method are the 3 known cures. There are many well written articles about Ich on the internet.

Wjcastiglione

welp guys - here's the pictures, he finally came out to play - i'm about 90% sure it's ich - he's already been qted in a 5 gallon - going to the LFS tomorrow to get medicine - what do you think the chances are the LFS will take this back since it's only 2 days old?

notice the top fin - and the white spots on him.

PS what a shame that the best picture I've been able to get on my iphone 6 is to pinpoint ich

post-86110-0-27028000-1419209571_thumb.jpg

post-86110-0-65726800-1419209574_thumb.jpg

Cleaner shrimp have no effect on ich as the parasite is burrowed below the mucus layer of the fish..... FW dips are not an effective cure for ich either ... these are common myths.

If you go the garlic route, keep in mind it isn't a cure and you are basically leaving it up to the fish own immune system to deal with ich. Any stress or newly added fish could become re-infected or the fish may lose the battle.

Hyposalinity, Copper, Transfer method are the 3 known cures. There are many well written articles about Ich on the internet.

It depends on who you ask for both of those cures. I have had great luck with using garlic, shrimp, and freshwater dips curing ich. I have to this day never lost a fish to ich in 8 years (knock on wood). I never medicate because it is hard on the fish, I will use a QT if the fish has a very bad case/can be easily caught with out causing added stress. I have found that a lot of fish can over come the parasite with just a little help from the aquarist.

It depends on who you ask for both of those cures. I have had great luck with using garlic, shrimp, and freshwater dips curing ich. I have to this day never lost a fish to ich in 8 years (knock on wood). I never medicate because it is hard on the fish, I will use a QT if the fish has a very bad case/can be easily caught with out causing added stress. I have found that a lot of fish can over come the parasite with just a little help from the aquarist.

People think it is "cured" because the spots disappear due to the cycle or the fish fight it off on their own. That doesn't mean the shrimp/FW dip was the cause/cure, more likely the fishes own immune system.

I am just saying what has personally worked for me thats all. I have had great luck with that method so I thought I would share it. Those things can not hurt, they can only help.

Archived