Innovative Marine Aquariums

Just another 3 foot nano

mechishark7

I was also thinking about the possibility of connecting my return pumps to one of those wave controllers that you plug powerheads into, anyone use a controller like this with centrifugal pumps?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just ordered my two return pumps, Hydor 300gph, a jig to help drill the holes with and a bucket of Red Sea Pro salt.

I'm probably going to order the bulkheads this weekend and start construction on the sumps as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
mechishark7

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while, here are some updates with pictures to follow later today;

The tank is drilled and the two side sumps are assembled and drilled as well.

I applied a frosted window cling to the back of the tank.

I hung the light fixture from the ceiling with steel cable, gave up on the fishing line idea since it stretched too much.

I am running to the store when it opens to get new bulkheads since I ordered the wrong ones and the tank should be wet by tonight!!!

mechishark7

The frost does look great!

When I find where I put the usb cable to my dslr I will post pics of the setup!

I added 20lbs of CaribSea Fiji Pink live sank and about 15-20 lbs of base rock.

Added saltwater and its all filled and is beginning its cycle!

CatfishSoupFTW

never seen such a set up with the dual sump/fuge? pretty cool!!! maybe box them in entirely with some nice wood. could look kind of cool!

im tempted to set up a 60F now.

mechishark7

never seen such a set up with the dual sump/fuge? pretty cool!!! maybe box them in entirely with some nice wood. could look kind of cool!

im tempted to set up a 60F now.

I was planning on covering them with books to make it look like there were books leaning up against the tank but I kind of like the exposed open look of it now.

I'll have to wait until I make and add reactors and skimmers to really see if I want to keep it all exposed or not

mechishark7

So I did just place an order with Saltcritters :D since they had an amazing deal on livestock, but don't worry its all soft corals except the torch and they will all be placed in the other established tank I have until this one fully cycles

mechishark7

Very cool side sumps.

Thanks! I wanted to be able to provide flow from both sides of the tank but didn't have room for a sump beneath since it is a dresser, so my only option was to put one on either end.

I did realize that I could have put a sump behind the main display tank but that was also at the time when I wanted the tank to have a clear back to see the white wall behind it and provide some depth.

Does look amazing so far. And the sumps will hopefully stay that way too but of course like you said, you always have the option of covering the sides up.

mechishark7

Does look amazing so far. And the sumps will hopefully stay that way too but of course like you said, you always have the option of covering the sides up.

The only thing I don't like about them at this point is all the black wires coming out of them...just added the two 50w Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters, which btw was absolutely overkill on my part considering I live in florida :wacko: , so theres quite a few black wires snaked around at the moment

CatfishSoupFTW

i agree the cables would be my only gripe. the tank in front of the sump would be cool too, but the equipment would look like an industrial horizon. im getting the bug for a 24 long or 36 long. D:

mechishark7

i agree the cables would be my only gripe. the tank in front of the sump would be cool too, but the equipment would look like an industrial horizon. im getting the bug for a 24 long or 36 long. D:

They make 24 or 36 longs?! :haha::haha::haha:

CatfishSoupFTW

They make 24 or 36 longs?! :haha::haha::haha:

as in how the ada 60f is 24 long and a 12 long is 36 inches... XD not an actual 36G long...oh gawd..... OHH GAWWDD. hahahaha

Following.... Scorched tank inspired me to start my own 4ft nano

A1B1284C-E07F-461C-9F5D-E8BB67E9428A_zps

dims and where did you get the tank from?

as in how the ada 60f is 24 long and a 12 long is 36 inches... XD not an actual 36G long...oh gawd..... OHH GAWWDD. hahahaha

dims and where did you get the tank from?

I had this custom made after seeing scorched and on here but wanted it longer and higher so got a tape measure out did abit of measuring and got a it made to my specifics

mechishark7

great looking tank! hope my build can help yours in some way!

Well expect some crazy stuff in this build and future builds. Don't discount the possibility of anything with me ;)

great looking tank! hope my build can help yours in some way!

Well expect some crazy stuff in this build and future builds. Don't discount the possibility of anything with me ;)

Well I'm following with anticipation, love the idea with the sumps!

Can I ask wat your doing for flow? Is there enough with just return pumps?

mechishark7

I'm just using the return pumps for flow. They each put out 300gph at max, I have them set around 3/4 of that since the sumps will run dry if they run full power, so its probably around 500gph total between the two.

Oh ok sweet, I hope my return will give me enough flow from that end but got myself a 2nd hand mp10 just in case for other end..

Is that 1" caps you have over the bulkheads? Can't get anything like that ova here

Archived