Pod Your Reef

Coral Choice Help

CCXGT

Okay.. So I THINK there is maybe 4 different Mushrooms on this piece.

Yellow: D71121CE-DFD2-4E3C-B23D-AE4C673E651A_zps

Red: A561CD6D-6D7B-4A99-9C51-ABD599D95203_zps

Red/Blue Rhodactis: 5D317BD4-6B37-4F08-8CB1-465F78CEED4F_zps

Red/Green Rhodactis?: 2E70A4C9-9CCF-4B2B-BC13-F6CA2496A859_zps

And this lil thing, not too sure: 12FAE0A0-4CED-4452-A53F-360CEBBCB489_zps

Very nice colors. I knew it would be a good rock to grab :D.

Yeah... Give yourself all the credit ??

I just need to figure out how much light I should be using.

It's on the lowest settings for both Blue and White and still seems quite bright.

If you see signs of bleaching then it is too powerful but most corals will adapt to bright or low light pretty well.

Well this is the first LED light I've had... I spose anything looks bright compared to cheapo Fluroescent Tubes.

The light coming off this lil thing is out-doing my 63G sitting just 2ft away.

Well this is the first LED light I've had... I spose anything looks bright compared to cheapo Fluroescent Tubes.

The light coming off this lil thing is out-doing my 63G sitting just 2ft away.

Yeah I feel like I'm getting sunburned sitting next to mine but all my corals have very nice pigmentation so I'm happy with it.

Hey CCXT, some advice if you're just getting into reefing (just an assumption that you're relatively new to the hobby, though still applies if you're not)...

Try to resist the urge to go to the LFS and buy something pretty... There are plenty of really nice corals available (actually that selection looks great!) so it's really hard not to grab 1 or 2 or 7. My first tank was a mishmash of corals, and while it was cool I ended up running out of room, or otherwise not able to fully provide for the needs of that particular coral (regarding lighting, flow, proximity to other corals, etc..).

So now I only go to the LFS to get a coral if I know what it's going to be, and where it's going to go. If they don't have the coral I want in stock then I either ask them to order it, or wait until the next shipment.

That said your shroom rock looks great! Some of the advice should be considered at some point though... Mushrooms, especially those red ones (if they're the one's I'm thinking of) have a tendency to grow quick and choke out neighboring corals... They can expand pretty large and literally cover the other corals around it, starving them of light. Sometimes, if they can, the other mushrooms could detach but that doesn't always end well, typically get shredded by a pump or something. Regarding light, mushrooms can sometimes "tell you". If they puff up it may mean that they need more light, if they condense down it may mean that they want less. I usually had the most success with mushrooms at the bottom of the tank and with more indirect light.

Good luck!

Hey CCXT, some advice if you're just getting into reefing (just an assumption that you're relatively new to the hobby, though still applies if you're not)...

Try to resist the urge to go to the LFS and buy something pretty... There are plenty of really nice corals available (actually that selection looks great!) so it's really hard not to grab 1 or 2 or 7. My first tank was a mishmash of corals, and while it was cool I ended up running out of room, or otherwise not able to fully provide for the needs of that particular coral (regarding lighting, flow, proximity to other corals, etc..).

So now I only go to the LFS to get a coral if I know what it's going to be, and where it's going to go. If they don't have the coral I want in stock then I either ask them to order it, or wait until the next shipment.

That said your shroom rock looks great! Some of the advice should be considered at some point though... Mushrooms, especially those red ones (if they're the one's I'm thinking of) have a tendency to grow quick and choke out neighboring corals... They can expand pretty large and literally cover the other corals around it, starving them of light. Sometimes, if they can, the other mushrooms could detach but that doesn't always end well, typically get shredded by a pump or something. Regarding light, mushrooms can sometimes "tell you". If they puff up it may mean that they need more light, if they condense down it may mean that they want less. I usually had the most success with mushrooms at the bottom of the tank and with more indirect light.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm brand new to the salty side.

I won't be picking up anything expensive for quite a while yet, I was just planning on a few cheap and easy Softies for now.

My LFS is pretty expensive as it is, I'm sure I could request a coral to stock but I'm not sure on what they'd charge.

I'm not too sure on what you mean about the Shrooms 'puffing up'... I mean they look alright to me but I don't know anything.

This is what I've got so far: E451A68A-88CA-4FFD-A35D-28DBACC77CC3_zps

I don't know if you can tell anything from that but blues are on about 20% and whites 12%.

Archived