ReefCleaners.org

Cooling tank

kit-kat

For your tanks, the larger ones, how do you suggest cooling them? They're such thick acrylic will an iceprobe work on the 7.2g one? How much do you think it'd lower it? Say ambient is 70ish, think it can lower it a full 10 degrees? Can it do better than that? Or are we needing like a JBJ powerhouse chiller to really be reasonable?

I'm trying to figure how much $$ I'm going to be in for if I get one of these down the road. It won't be for awhile, but planning...

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

For your tanks, the larger ones, how do you suggest cooling them? They're such thick acrylic will an iceprobe work on the 7.2g one? How much do you think it'd lower it? Say ambient is 70ish, think it can lower it a full 10 degrees? Can it do better than that? Or are we needing like a JBJ powerhouse chiller to really be reasonable?

I'm trying to figure how much $$ I'm going to be in for if I get one of these down the road. It won't be for awhile, but planning...

This is a really good question and something I have been wanting to tackle for quite some time, thanks for bringing it up on my sponsor section!

When I debuted our 1st cold water system back in 2012 at Reefapalooza, the cold water introduction was with the simplicity of the ice-probe. At that time our tanks were manufactured by TruVu Aquariums and designed by Micro-Reefs LLC.

We took a 6.2 gallon and ran it with two ice-probes RUNNING in parallel. We took into account volume of tank, heat of lighting and return pump and calculated that using 3/8 inch acrylic would indeed give us the magical number we were looking for.

I coined the phrase, 55F degrees of COOLNESS at Reefapalooza.

We achieved this remarkable ideal temperature in around 77F degrees ambient temps +/- 2 degrees.

Now, let us fast forward 2014 where Micro-Reefs LLC manufactures all there aquariums. With the exception of the 2 gallon vertical series tank, we stopped using the ice-probe and went with a compressor based chiller.

The reason for that is that the compressor allowed us to achieve without hesitation a much more powerful stable temperature of 55 F degrees AS OUR TEMPERATE SYSTEMS GOT LARGER. What does this mean? Very simple, the heart of a cold water system is being able to maintain 55 F degrees. Failure to maintain this requirement places the system under jeopardy.

Micro-Reefs now uses only 1/2 or higher acrylic for our temperate systems, this allows the chiller to turn on less time as the insulation is much higher with our new tanks.

Having said that, we are wishing to bring back the ice-probe in our 6 gallon system for the sole reason that when we debuted our system, the world was shocked to see no chiller attached to our tanks, which puzzled them on how we achieved and maintained 55 degrees of COOLNESS without the compressor.

IT WAS LITERALLY A SILENT OPERATION! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived