inTank Media Baskets

fish for 10 gallon - preferably captive bred

Karcus

So i've been tossing around ideas for my 10 gallon, its been running just corals for a a bit over a year and I successfully moved it 12 hours away after graduating from college....

I'd LIKE to keep the fish captive bred, but some just really catch my eye. I really want a yellow spot scorpionfish, and I know they are not captive bred, but how compatible are they with other fish? I do check out lionfishlair.com a lot. Anyways... here are some possible combos I was thinking, i know not all are captive bred. What do you think?

Yellowspot scorpion and ORA ocellaris

ORA ocellaris and Tanaka Pygmy wrasse

YS scoprion and TP wrasse

ORA bicolor dottyback + Tp wrasse or ORA clown

TP wrasse and pair of ORA gobies?

What other captive bred nano options are there?

Thanks

You don't need ORA for captive bred. Most clowns in the LFS are captive bred, just ask before purchasing. They're super easy to breed and a lot of hobbyists breed them and then sell or trade them to LFS. Some of your other ORAs are probable the same. Just ask. I don't know a lot about scorpionfish. But personally I would not keep them with a tankmate in such a small tank. Given their carnivorous nature, I would think feeding them would be a messy business and water quality would be a major concern. My other concern would be to make sure whoever the tankmate is is faster and larger then the scorpion fish. Those were the tactics I used when keeping a community betta tank and I would think they'd be well applied here as well.

But that's my 2 cents on a fish I only know a little about.

A yellow spotted scorpionfish will be too big for the tank. They get to be 4" +. And they will eat anything they can get into their mouths, including all nano fish, all crabs, all snails, etc. Clownfish, wrasses, and dottybacks are also going to be too big. You need to think smaller, like gobies and blennies, or get a much bigger tank to accommodate what you want.

How about a stippled clingfish?

They are a really interesting fish, and although their color might not be too appealing, they have great personalities. They can be a bit shy, but over time get real friendly. Mine is such a pig; it will even stick its head out of the water during feeding time! They like to hide, mine used to hang out in a powerhead holder on the glass. The only thing is that you have to put the food right in front of its face, because it won't eat out of the water column.

Very interesting fish and captive-bred.

Clownfish aren't too big for a 10g. I have 2 in my 8 gallon and they are fine.

For that size there are a lot of captive bred gobies out there

Neon gobies

yellow line gobies

yellow watchman goby

Greenband gobies

red head gobies

Archived