SaltCritters.com

Harlequin in a 8 gallon pico

DodgerDave

So I've had the harlequin shrimp in my 8 gallon pico since Sunday. I think it's already almost done it's job destroying the asterina starfish population!
I guess I could sell him off to someone that needs him, but thinking about supplemental feeding to keep him around long term.
So after some reading, I think the best plan of attack is to buy a chocolate chip starfish and freeze it. Break off a leg per week for feeding. Main thing I worry about is putting in a frozen/dead starfish leg in a 8 gallon tank and polluting the water. I think throwing in the piece of leg maybe 2 days prior to my scheduled weekly water change will minimize "waste" from the leg.
What do you guys think?

Side note: I do large water changes ever week. I'd say about 40-50% per week. Hoping this could keep my tank from getting crap parameters from the star legs.

post-85399-0-44564000-1418868343_thumb.jpg

post-85399-0-36243200-1418868351_thumb.jpg

So I've had the harlequin shrimp in my 8 gallon pico since Sunday. I think it's already almost done it's job destroying the asterina starfish population!

I guess I could sell him off to someone that needs him, but thinking about supplemental feeding to keep him around long term.

So after some reading, I think the best plan of attack is to buy a chocolate chip starfish and freeze it. Break off a leg per week for feeding. Main thing I worry about is putting in a frozen/dead starfish leg in a 8 gallon tank and polluting the water. I think throwing in the piece of leg maybe 2 days prior to my scheduled weekly water change will minimize "waste" from the leg.

What do you guys think?

Side note: I do large water changes ever week. I'd say about 40-50% per week. Hoping this could keep my tank from getting crap parameters from the star legs.

attachicon.gifHar1.jpg

attachicon.gifHar2.jpg

It's doable with consistent water changes. Always take out the left over leg if they don't eat it all. I left mine in for usually 24 hours.

Another option is to befriend a local store owner/management that has a large population of asterinasin one or more of their displays or live rock holding tanks... I can't think of any around here that wouldn't either give them away when you explained what you were keeping or be happy to sell a bunch a week as feeders for a few bucks.

Archived