SaltCritters.com

New Torch - My first coral

Wjcastiglione

Wjcastiglione

Hi guys,

I got this new torch on sunday. It's my very first coral - I'm a lil worried about it because a lil piece of one of his polyps fell off in the bag when I got it home from my LFS.

so, it's been in there 3.5 days now - and basically stays all sucked in like it is in the picture. The only time he's really come out to play is when I fed the tank yesterday.

Am I doing something wrong or am I just being overly nervous?

post-86110-0-87939300-1418854262_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look all that bad to me… I'm sure it will extend further once its fully acclimated. I'd give it a few more days before you start worrying.

Wjcastiglione

ummm new update - noticed just now there is a big white blotch behind this coral on the rock? This is nothing I placed there nor have I seen before. Any ideas what it could be?

post-86110-0-88169600-1418856338_thumb.jpg

post-86110-0-37709600-1418856341_thumb.jpg

Wjcastiglione

Yeah I know. I apologize. That's with my lights all the way down too. This iphone 6 sucks. It is a white splotch. Almost looks like in took elmers glue and put a big OL dab on the rock and let it dry? Semi see through. Semi white.

torch looks fine, they can take a while to adjust to a tank IME.. it doesn't look pissed or sucked in or anything, it just isn't fully extended. don't worry so much ;)

If your water parameters are right then it must be flow or light intensity issue. Usually it doesn't take that long for them to acclimate. Neon green I got opened up within an hour or so. Gold torch took few hours but it was stressed out already since it was fragged for me while I wait.

Try area with more flow and better light.

You're just being nervous :b.

Torches usually take awhile to fully acclimate and extend even further. Mine too about 3 weeks give-or-take to finally extend pretty far, but for the initial process, he was about the length that you have now. Also, do not move the torch too much. It can easily be stressed since it's still acclimating to the tank and everything, but after it settles and extends a bit more, it should be fine.

Mine throws off tentacles all the time. He likes it best under the Koralia head so lots of movement. Some days he is just ginormous and doing his little happy dance, so I know he's happy. Just hang.

I wouldnt touch it. it looks happy to me.. i had a torch that never extended as long as some of the ones you see online. You sir may have an aussie torch. they stay short.

I totally understand "freaking out" especially when it's the first coral in the tank, but that's the name of the game.

Some corals look great within minutes when placed in the tank. Some corals takes weeks before they start looking "normal".

I wouldn't worry at all that one of the polyps fell off in the bag during the initial insertion of the coral in the tank. I also get that when moving my torch coral to a different location.

From the pictures, your torch isn't in bad shape at all. Just leave it for a month and monitor. Best advise is not to move around every other day...just let it chill a while prior to making the decision to move it to another spot.

Archived