Top Shelf Aquatics

ugh 40 Breeder lighting options.....Lost!

Gooburz

Ok so I have a 40 Breeder currently using 2 PAR38's on it with 120 optics and shockingly its been doing a great job growing my corals with hardly any dead spots.

But now I'm wanting to upgrade my lighting, its not that I don't like my PAR38's but I'm looking for something maybe a bit better. I've been debating between adding another PAR38 from Coral Compulsion or going with Kessil's or something else. I really prefer not to spend $500-$600 if possible.

Currently keep soft corals and looking to add a clam and a couple SPS in the future. If I did a tank upgrade down the road I'd only go up to a 75 gal but nothing larger than that.

What have some of you 40 Breeder people done for lighting? Should I just keep it simple and add another PAR38?

Spend less than 100$ on a used 250 watt metal halide make sure it's a good reflector fixture and slap a Phoenix 14 bulb on it 47-68$ and bam end of story

14k*

A single 250w halide will cover it beautifully, t5s in addition are a plus for looks but not necessary. It's a very affordable lighting source right now with led's becoming the mainstream.

I'm using a reefbreeders photon 24 on my 40b and I think it's about perfect. I originally had 90* optics and had pretty much perfect spread, I ended up taking the optics off about a month ago and I've gotten a great response from the corals, I think I was lasering them to death :blink:

If I were going with a reefbreeders again today, I'd go with 120 optics and I'd change the LED layout a bit.

imo, the "best" option would be a nanobox quad or wait until Dave releases his new nanobox hybrid fixture.. but you're talking $$ in either case..

Archived