Pod Your Reef

Diatoms or worse?

SgtBhaji

Increased flow doesn't appear to be making a whole lot of difference to these things thus far. However, the corals look to be thoroughly enjoying it... so no complaints. :)

I'll see if anything changes in the coming days and let you know.

Thanks again for the pointers!

Unfortunately flow has no effect on them but reduced nutrients and lights do.

Unfortunately flow has no effect on them but reduced nutrients and lights do.

Yep... flow seems to have had absolutely zero impact. I've cut feeding and will cut back lights some more.

Would a lights out completely for a few days be the best approach or just keep cutting it back bit by bit until I see some change?

Yep... flow seems to have had absolutely zero impact. I've cut feeding and will cut back lights some more.

Would a lights out completely for a few days be the best approach or just keep cutting it back bit by bit until I see some change?

Try this. .

Large water change

No lights and No feedings for three days

Don't worry your fish and coral will be fine

Try this. .Large water changeNo lights and No feedings for three daysDon't worry your fish and coral will be fine

Alrighty. I'll do a heavy water change tomorrow and try that and see what we get Thanks!

I changed about 50% of the water, stopped all feeding and cut lights for 3 days and it's back within 2 hours of having lights back on. Grrr.

I'm going to go scratch my head for a bit and see if I can think of anything, no matter how small that could have changed.

Thanks for all the tips so far!

Oddly... The longer the lights were on today, it began to subside again. I'll keep up with regular cleaning, no feeding and changing filter floss regularly (as that's been getting nasty rather quickly recently) and see if any changes happens.

I had this same problem and when I switched from a Jeabo to a Vortech it all went away within a few days. For me it seems that having more flow cured it.

I upped the flow and it really seemed to make no difference at all sadly, and I don't have the free funds to drop on an mp10 right now.

I get the feeling it's not flow related though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
PorkchopExpress

if they are diatoms then they are making themselves subside by taking up your extra nutrients...once those nutrients are gone they too go away

I'll keep on going as I have been these past few weeks and hopefully they'll leave completely. All I am continuing to do at present is keeping my feeding minimal and having the lights on for a shorter period.

The sand bed is looking much better recently. There's just a couple of small patches that are stil persisting right now and those aren't as bad as previously. *crossing fingers*

Thank you all for the assistance and advice with this!

Archived