Cultivated Reef

Diatoms or worse?

SgtBhaji

So my tank (Just shy of 10g) has been up and running for about 18 months, but for the past few weeks I have been seeing what I believe are diatoms constantly in my sand bed.

I haven't changed anything in the tank prior to this starting, and I can't seem to get it to clear up. I get my water from a lfs and it's not in my other tank so I'm assuming that's okay. I have added some more cuc, changed my carbon (just run a hob filter and a power head), reduced my lights by a couple of hours per, day but it still returns very quickly, usually within a few hours after a clean.

It doesn't seem sticky, more powdery, and I'm not noticing it on my rock, just the sand.

Here's a pic. Sorry for the low quality.IMG_20141216_195840.jpg

Here are the results of what I've been able to test tonight:

Salinity 1.025

KH 11

PH 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrates looks between 0-5

Phosphate 0.03

Calc 400

Temp. 78

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Hows your flow across the top of the sand?

It seems like it should be fairly good. It seems to be appearing in spots that seem to be getting a good amount of flow, but not in areas directly near the powerhead.

I placed a bigger impeller in my filter to try stir things up a little more. That didn't make much difference other than flooding the floor one night. Ooops.

I may try move the powerhead lower to see if there's any improvement.

Usually that build up is from a lack of flow on the sand bed, at least in my experience

I'll try change up my flow a bit and see if I notice any difference. Thanks for the reply!

Ive got the same stuff and no one will touch it. Acts like dinos but it looks nothing like it. Same with you?

It's hard to say what it is for sure. Seems to maybe act like dinos but doesn't have the bubbles. I just can't shift it though. I've dropped some macro algea in the tank and it seems to have helped a bit, though I'm not sure why or if it's actually that that's helping. None of my cuc are dealing with it though.

I have another pump coming in tomorrow to see if that helps move things around a little more. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

It's hard to say what it is for sure. Seems to maybe act like dinos but doesn't have the bubbles. I just can't shift it though. I've dropped some macro algea in the tank and it seems to have helped a bit, though I'm not sure why or if it's actually that that's helping. None of my cuc are dealing with it though.

I have another pump coming in tomorrow to see if that helps move things around a little more. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Ive started turkey basting it out and thus far its getting better.

I am having the exact same problem for months now after introducing dry rock to a two year old system (my only 'change'). I'll be following along in the hopes of an answer.

The dry rock (reef bones) will be leaching phosphate if they weren't cured properly before you introduced them to your system. That is likely a cause.

After that as already suggested try changing up the flow to get more across the sand bed.

Ive started turkey basting it out and thus far its getting better.

I've been doing that too but with limited success sadly. I think I'm improving the situation slowly though. Let me know how you get on with clearing it up.

The dry rock (reef bones) will be leaching phosphate if they weren't cured properly before you introduced them to your system. That is likely a cause.

After that as already suggested try changing up the flow to get more across the sand bed.

My wife added some dry rock to a small tank that we're shuffling some things in and out of, and we had an immediate explosion in that tank.

Not sure what's the deal in my tank though as nothing was added/changed prior to the problem appearing. Right now I'm just going to focus on flow. Maybe the flow is impeded as corals begin to fill out the tank more?

Regardless of whether it's an algae or bacterial bloom, it's feeding on something in the water column. The normal food sources are excess nitrates (dissolved nutrients) or excess phosphates.

Test kits will often read 0 as they are either not sensitive enough to detect trace levels or the bloom is consuming it all. If you for instance narrow down it being excess phosphate and you start running rowaphos or some other phosphate removing media in a reactor etc you will absorb the excess before the nuisance bloom can and basically out compete it for its food source and starve the bloom off.
However it will return as soon as you stop running your reactor.

Best find the source and remove it.

In the case of leaching rock you'll just have to wait it out and eventually it will release all the phosphate and the problem will be self resolving.

However if it's a bad batch of salt for instance or filters in a ro unit needing replacing until you fix that issue you'll never beat the bloom, only stem it by out competing or syphoning it off.

I've been doing that too but with limited success sadly. I think I'm improving the situation slowly though. Let me know how you get on with clearing it up.

The one spot i sucked it out of hasnt seen it for 3 days. The sides of my tank are the worse and it slowly still comes back. I did notice this started after i added some acans. I think the plug is plastic and that it could be leeching something.

Plastic is generally inert so I doubt it.

Have you changed feeding routines due to the new additions. Over feeding/extra bio load will cause excess nutrients (nitrate), change of food could also be an issue as some foods like some salts (or just a bad batch) can have phosphates or nitrates which means your inadvertently feeding your problem.

Regardless of whether it's an algae or bacterial bloom, it's feeding on something in the water column. The normal food sources are excess nitrates (dissolved nutrients) or excess phosphates.

Test kits will often read 0 as they are either not sensitive enough to detect trace levels or the bloom is consuming it all. If you for instance narrow down it being excess phosphate and you start running rowaphos or some other phosphate removing media in a reactor etc you will absorb the excess before the nuisance bloom can and basically out compete it for its food source and starve the bloom off.

However it will return as soon as you stop running your reactor.

Best find the source and remove it.

In the case of leaching rock you'll just have to wait it out and eventually it will release all the phosphate and the problem will be self resolving.

However if it's a bad batch of salt for instance or filters in a ro unit needing replacing until you fix that issue you'll never beat the bloom, only stem it by out competing or syphoning it off.

I'm pretty sure it's not a water or salt issue as it's only occurring in one of 4 tanks at the moment, so I can only assume that's not the source.

The tank is just shy of 10g so my equipment is very minimal/limited. Just a hob and a powerhead right now.

When I first put this tank together it was a mix of live and dry rock, so I really don't know if the dry is causing me a problem later down the road as I don't have a lot of experience.

I've cut back feeding and try remove things from the tank for heavy feedings or very carefully spot feed those that I can't remove.

Thanks for the reply and info. Any and all help is very much appreciated. :)

Not a problem, all you can do is experiment to see what helps and try and narrow down what the root cause is. It is likely it's the reef bones leaching so in time the issue will resolve it's self and all will be well, but it is always worth checking the basics first such as salt and water as often the simplest thing is the solution.

Far to many people over complicate things from the start or turn to chemicals to resolve their problems caused by poor maintenance or improper care.

Good luck and hope it clears.

I had been battling dinos for nearly 4 months and from your pic it definitely looks like dinos. I agree with benny that its likely your rock leaching nutrients into the tank (which was the same case for me) I used bacteria and a shortened photoperiod to ultimately outcompete this stuff and drive it back into the darkness.

HTH

I used bacteria and a shortened photoperiod to ultimately outcompete this stuff and drive it back into the darkness.

What do you mean you used bacteria to help solve the problem? I'm having the same issue and am curious about this.

I had been battling dinos for nearly 4 months and from your pic it definitely looks like dinos. I agree with benny that its likely your rock leaching nutrients into the tank (which was the same case for me) I used bacteria and a shortened photoperiod to ultimately outcompete this stuff and drive it back into the darkness.

HTH

Thanks for the info and help. I'll let you know how I get on.

What do you mean you used bacteria to help solve the problem? I'm having the same issue and am curious about this.

Well I dose vodka and zeobak to add bacterial diversity which outcompete the dinos for available nutrients. It also helped to shorten my photoperiod during this time since dinos are photosynthetic. By continuing this regimen the dinos eventually starved to death.

Thanks for the info and help. I'll let you know how I get on.

No problem

I dropped a cheap wp10 in there today and that's certainly stirred things up a bit. I have it low so the corals aren't getting blasted.

The flow is improved considerably now, so I'll see if that makes any difference at all over the next few days. It may not, but the movement sure looks nice. :)

Increased flow doesn't appear to be making a whole lot of difference to these things thus far. However, the corals look to be thoroughly enjoying it... so no complaints. :)

I'll see if anything changes in the coming days and let you know.

Thanks again for the pointers!

Archived