SaltCritters.com

Hello Everyone! New tank, few questions

CleverName

I happened to come across a brand new biocube 29 with a stand for near nothing. Thanks to this site and the community here I made the plunge. It could be a fun hobby for the kido's and I.

Anyway heres a few pics along with some questions.

Tank set up. Went with black sand.

eVQRJa0l.jpg

Rock, Most of the color has died off but the red. There's little dots of it around but this is the biggest cluster.

3BvOlYil.jpg

Black sand

eVQRJa0l.jpg

hhDIFzv.jpg

What might this be?

Lastly this set up has been cycling for about 10 days. There seemed to be a lot of die off, which sucks because there were some pretty colors on that rock.

My amommia is still sky high. If I leave the test kit for a while it will go beyond green 8ppm. Its actually blueish. My nitrites are sky high as well, which from what I can tell is great and I shouldn't be worried about a stalled tank. My nitrates are picking up too but nothing seems to be receding. Should I just roll with it? I was hoping for a clean up crew at 2 weeks but that doesn't seem possible.

You need to read your test after the indicated time. He reaction continues and it is natural for the color to keep changing the longer you let it go.

You need to read your test after the indicated time. He reaction continues and it is natural for the color to keep changing the longer you let it go.

Ok, from the API test kit the time should be 5 minutes. Within this time the color is still way off the charts. Beyond what I would say 8ppm.

Depending on the amount of die off it may take quite a while for the cycle to complete. If you are seeing nitrite then the bacteria are growing and converting the ammonia. I have seen many people have cycles of longer than one month. Also keep your lights off on the tank while it cycles to prevent excess algae from growing.

Depending on the amount of die off it may take quite a while for the cycle to complete. If you are seeing nitrite then the bacteria are growing and converting the ammonia. I have seen many people have cycles of longer than one month. Also keep your lights off on the tank while it cycles to prevent excess algae from growing.

This is what I figured. All of the color of the live rock is gone except the little red stuff. It looks to be hard and not necessarily coraline stuff.

I've set up my light timers a bit back but everythings been off for a while.

If my NO3 does get high and my ammonia and nitrites are high as well would it be ok to do a smaller water change to help keeping the NO3 low to prevent some algae? I figure as long as the cycle is still going and I wouldn't want the amount of nitrates that I'm due for seeing my water samples.

This is what I figured. All of the color of the live rock is gone except the little red stuff. It looks to be hard and not necessarily coraline stuff.

I've set up my light timers a bit back but everythings been off for a while.

If my NO3 does get high and my ammonia and nitrites are high as well would it be ok to do a smaller water change to help keeping the NO3 low to prevent some algae? I figure as long as the cycle is still going and I wouldn't want the amount of nitrates that I'm due for seeing my water samples.

Doing a 50% water change probably wouldn't hurt if you feel the ammonia is that elevated.

The reddish dots/clusters are sponges. They are very good for your tank. I have the same in mine.

Love your rockscape!

Thanks. I wanted to make a few little shelves and it was the best I could up with after an hour.

Tank update:

Ammonia is pretty much gone

Nitrites still high

The cycle is going well but I was surprised how fast the ammonia was dissipated. It was gone in a few days from being off the charts high. Hopefully soon!

Archived