Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

controller for 4 watt pump

Halo_003

I'm trying to essentially use the pump as a heater in a small jar. Obviously it needs to be controlled. Its a small 4 watt 80GPH pump but it can still get the jar way too hot. I ordered a Finnex max 300 digital heater controller and it doesn't work. When plugged in, the pump just makes a really soft ticking noise as if it isn't getting enough power.

Any suggestions for a temp controller of some sort that will work with the tiny pump?

Edit: this might be better off in equipment, I thought that's where I posted.

Well I guess as a heater it does work, brought the temp right up to 80F. I'm still disappointed though because even though it clicks the pump doesn't actually pump any water.

Synchronous AC motors don't like having the voltage played with. They are designed to operate in a small voltage and frequency range. If you need a small heater, why not look into sealed AC or DC cartridge heaters? McMaster has a range of AC heaters that are under $20. Those will work with the temperature controller, and they are tiny. The smallest one is 20W, so it's going to heat things up in a hurry.

3/16" diameter, 1.5" long... Wow that is truly really tiny. According to McMaster: "Heaters are insulated with magnesium oxide and encased in a Type 304 stainless steel sheath"

Is that reef safe?

I was hoping the pump would work for the double whammy of it heating the jar and providing flow. Any idea if there is a controller that will do it?

You would be better off with a small DC pump, with which you can vary the flow (and overall power) with relative ease. Trying to mess with these AC pumps will give you poor results by comparison. There are some small 12/24v DC pumps available on Aliexpress for pretty cheap with decent flow rates, especially for a small setup like yours.

As for the heater, I don't think magnesium oxide will be an issue for the tank. 304 stainless certainly won't. If you are a little paranoid about it, coat it in a thin layer of epoxy to seal it all up.

Archived