Cultivated Reef

Using sump as display instead?

Tropi

I'm thinking of using a smaller sump and taking the baffles out of the sump I have at the moment that I haven't used yet and using it as a display tank since I like the size or will it come out to messy/scratched when removing the silicon/baffles?

I don't want to start removing them unless I know it's doable and still look good :)

It takes some time, but you can usually remove the silicone adequately with a razor blade. If it's a cheap tank, you might decide to keep the sump as is and buy a new display tank.

Your best bet will be to just get a new display tank as you won't be able to get the class clean enough to a point to where you will be satisfied and you risk adding scratches to the glass unless money is an issue, then by all means do what you can. And if its an Acrylic sump then don't waste anytime.

I've never used silicone on acrylic because it doesn't stick very well. If your sump is acrylic - first, you shouldn't have used silicone to secure the baffles; second, you might be able to just peel (or rub) off the silicone.

If the silicone doesn't come off the glass sump to your liking, you could always just put the baffles back in the same place (you'd just be out some silicone and time).

+1 seabass... Try it and if you don't like it you can just put the baffles back in. But really you should be able to get the silicone off pretty well... you'll need several brand new razor blades. Not the box cutter kind, the window scraper kind (small rectangular).

Grip it in your fingers and bend it in toward the glass slightly, this will give you an extremely close shave. Switch out the blade after every few scrapes to prevent scratching the glass. For the last pass I've used acetone in addition to the blades.

Plus one for the acetone . Removed the sump in my fluval m90 had to get rid of the residue ! Used alittle acetone and did one more pass with the blade and its like it was never there. Good luck just take your time.

Archived