Innovative Marine Aquariums

Begow's 10g Fusion // Huge Photo Update

Begow

This statement is interesting. My SPS seem to be doing great after like 3 months with no dosing. I have about 4 frags. I do 1 gallon water changes per week. I was thinking about starting to dose Kent Marine part A and B, but I don't know if it's worth it.

I think in a smaller system it's not a big necessity to dose for calc/alk, most of it can be kept stable through weekly water changes with a quality reef salt.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered a light Monday. Said probable shipping Tuesday. Latest Wednesday. Was told earlier it was shipping would get me tracking number this evening. 8 hours later no word. Hoping it was shipped today so I can stop paying my LFS money to hold my corals.

I ordered a light Monday. Said probable shipping Tuesday. Latest Wednesday. Was told earlier it was shipping would get me tracking number this evening. 8 hours later no word. Hoping it was shipped today so I can stop paying my LFS money to hold my corals.

Begow: Your sig reminds me of how I probably look every morning waiting for my alarm to go off....minus the chick in the bed.

haha that truly is scary!

I think in a smaller system it's not a big necessity to dose for calc/alk, most of it can be kept stable through weekly water changes with a quality reef salt.

Wait a sec! :D

The main problem with this is the Alk swing during the water change, especially in a small tank. Once SPS get comfortable they will try and crash the tank by using up all the Alk and Calcium. With SPS Alk is the big deal because Alk swings can kill, and if not kill seriously brown out corals. So if you use a high KH salt like Red Sea Coral Pro (12KH) you can maintain Alk in a safe range with water changes but your Alk will drop from 12 down to say 8 or 9, then snap back up to 12 during the water change.

Make sure to do an Alk test before and after the water change. If you decide to go for SPS, especially acros, you want to minimize Alk swings to less than .5 KH, the less the better.

Sorry for the wall of text, carry on!

The main problem with this is the Alk swing during the water change, especially in a small tank. Once SPS get comfortable they will try and crash the tank by using up all the Alk and Calcium. With SPS Alk is the big deal because Alk swings can kill, and if not kill seriously brown out corals. So if you use a high KH salt like Red Sea Coral Pro (12KH) you can maintain Alk in a safe range with water changes but your Alk will drop from 12 down to say 8 or 9, then snap back up to 12 during the water change.

Make sure to do an Alk test before and after the water change. If you decide to go for SPS, especially acros, you want to minimize Alk swings to less than .5 KH, the less the better.

I'll be keeping two pieces of SPS. A reeftech starburst montipora and a rainbow milli of some sort. That's my plan at least.

reefernanoman

I have never kept acros, but I have kept all the other easier types of sps successfully for years with great growth and colors with just weekly water changes. I never test for calcium, etc.

Yep, I agree with Markalot. Like I said, it just depends on what's in the tank. My 4g tank can drop from 9 to 8 in 24 hours, but I've got half a dozen SPS frags in it. But before I found success with the SPS guys I didn't dose at all and everything did fine.

reefernanoman
Yep, I agree with Markalot. Like I said, it just depends on what's in the tank. My 4g tank can drop from 9 to 8 in 24 hours, but I've got half a dozen SPS frags in it. But before I found success with the SPS guys I didn't dose at all and everything did fine.

So what do you dose then? I'm interested. :-)

Check over in my 4g tank thread, I just posted some details for others that asked. I don't want to hijack Begow's thread :)

Hijack away. I'm on my phone at a doctors appointment. So it's hard to check. I don't mind at all.

Awesome!!! Congratulations on getting through such a difficult experience. :)

Thanks :) It's been a rough road the past two months but man today was so amazing. Walking out of the court room and grabbing my son was the best feeling I've ever had. I feel whole again!

mVTLjid.jpg

Happy Daddy!

On another note, the gentlemen I bought the light from shipped it yesterday and told me he shipped it two-day UPS. I contacted UPS and it was shipped normal ground UPS. That means I won't receive it until Monday. Super irritating. I specifically asked him prior to sending payment if he could ship it Tuesday and if not Wednesday with two-day. He said yes. It's going to cost me an extra $21 dollars to have my corals held since he couldn't ship when and how he guaranteed. I wouldn't have bought the light from him if I knew this.

I needed a light this week, wanted to be set up and running AND save the money by getting my corals back. I'll get the light either way which is cool but I just get irritated with things like this. Anyone who ever buys or trades from me gets shipment the next day and it's always shipped USPS Priority. I guess I can't expect professional treatment from everyone.

So it looks like my light will be arriving in my city today, but won't go out for delivery obviously. I'm not sure why people UPS since they don't have an option for me to just pick it up at the facility. Pretty lame, knowing my light is like 2 miles from my house but I have to wait all weekend to get it.

Im in the same boat i got approved for my va loan im going to use usaa. House searching is a pain in the ass.

Mine is for sale. Let's make it happen.

So I got the tank set up tonight! Woohoo!!!! I'm pretty happy with the aquascape.

I cannot believe how amazingly weak this return pump is, that thing barely pushes water out! I may have to upgrade that thing one day, I don't even know if I could fit my hand down there, hmm.

I have my WP-10 hooked up and it is working like a charm, no sand blasting and no spills!

I will be putting all my corals in this weekend some time, so that should be fun. I'm only adding a very select few from my old tank. I want to keep the tank mostly high end morph zoanthids and palythoas. As of now this is what's going in the tank:

Reef Tech Starburst Montipora

Rasta Zoanthids

Sunny D Palythoas

Rainbow Acans

Bleeding Apple Scoly

Plans for coral:

Possibly a golden Torch/Frogspawn, depending on room once everything goes in.

A nice high color rock anemone, I really like the one Cornbred has right now.

Bowser Palythoas

Latin Lover Palythoas

PZ Metallic Dreams Palythoas

Vampire Palythoas

Anyways, here is some pictures:

VRmEFPW.jpg

faEYVdn.jpg

K24cJNV.jpg

Su5FZNg.jpg

What do you guys think of the scape?

Woot! Looks nice, and the scape is great. Lot's of room for corals to glue and grow. Dad and son and dog look happy too :)

I've been thinking about a frogspawn or torch for mine too...but I'm not sure how long it would last before it outgrows the tank.

Woot! Looks nice, and the scape is great. Lot's of room for corals to glue and grow. Dad and son and dog look happy too :)

I've been thinking about a frogspawn or torch for mine too...but I'm not sure how long it would last before it outgrows the tank.

That's kind of how I feel about the whole situation with most fast growing corals. In two months a torch will be so long and stringy it'll be touching everything. I think a hammer has better grouping patterns and doesn't get so lanky.

Scape looks good, and the black sand looks sleek.

Are you gonna get the algae scrubber? I'd be interested to see how well those actually work haha.

Yeah definitely, it'll probably be one of the next thing I look into buying.

I'm very happy with this tank. I swear this thing looks better than my 20 fusion did. It's beautiful!

wow, you been through 3 tanks in like less than 2 months =P. this one looks like a keeper and so glad you are reunited with your son.

Haha yeah, my wife and I were constantly battling about the "huge" tank in the living room. Oh well. I gave in, better to do that some times. I can still stock the shit out of this thing and upgrade one day.

Thanks for the kind words buddy :D

Archived