Top Shelf Aquatics

I dropped my new refractometer...

The Aquarist

So I was figuring out how to open the case, when all of a sudden it burst open, and the refractometer fell out. It wasn't that bad of a fall, maybe 2 - 2.5 feet onto carpet. It seems ok, I put in some calibration fluid, and it read a couple degrees more, so I used the screwdriver to adjust it. Then, I tested my tank water, and its reading really low, like 1.015. If this were the case, that would explain why my colt corals are bleaching, but there are other softies and a seahorse in there that are doing fine.

Do I have to replace the refractometer?

Thanks

I do have a hydrometer which I have been using for years with no problems... I just wanted the refractometer to be more accurate. I'll check and let you know. If it reads low, that explains the coral bleaching.

So....

I tested the water with my swing-arm and OMG, it is really that low!!! The swing arm read about 1.020 ish, so I now I am not surprised at all by the refractometers 1.017-1.018 ish reading. No wonder corals are bleaching!!! Now to add salt to top off water and raise the salinity graudually

I guess this means the refractometer is ok...

Thanks guys!

Just re calibrate the refractometer. If it reads correctly then it should be working fine. Then test the tank water again. Refractometers are way more accurate than hydrometer because air bubble can attach to the swing arm, also salt can stay attached which makes hydrometers less accurate. Amazon and ebay have cheap refractometers for like $20

Archived