inTank Media Baskets

Pom Pom Crab - Hiding?

shawnriv

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a Pom Pom Crab with both of his anemones from my LFS on Thursday and have only seen him once in my tank. I have a 38G Nuvo so I imagine I shouldn't have a difficult time finding anything. Last night I did spot him in a hole, but have not seen him today.

Is there anything I should do?

Should I be worried?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a Pom Pom Crab with both of his anemones from my LFS on Thursday and have only seen him once in my tank. I have a 38G Nuvo so I imagine I shouldn't have a difficult time finding anything. Last night I did spot him in a hole, but have not seen him today.

Should I be worried?

Thanks!

I have an emerald crab I only see once every other week or so lol. You'd be surprised how easily crabs can hide in our tanks.

I have an emerald crab I only see once every other week or so lol. You'd be surprised how easily crabs can hide in our tanks.

True. I just had high hopes for this crab since people seem to love them. I know it's only been four full days, but I hope he becomes more sociable so I can actually see him.

True. I just had high hopes for this crab since people seem to love them. I know it's only been four full days, but I hope he becomes more sociable so I can actually see him.

My crab has always been kinda stealthy, I have however had a royal gramma I didn't see for a month really then out of nowhere decided to join the crew which was nice.

My crab has always been kinda stealthy, I have however had a royal gramma I didn't see for a month really then out of nowhere decided to join the crew which was nice.

I have one of those too. The royal gramma luckily has always been out and about. I quarantined all my fish and found success with them being less shy once introduced to the DT.

I have two pom poms in my tank and usually only see them out and about during feeding time. Otherwise, they are pretty reclusive.

Caught a glimpse of them mating the other day, though!

Hi Everyone,

Should I be worried?

Thanks!

Yeah, I would usually see mine every couple of months or so in my 28g.

I have been reading up on these. My understanding is they are seen more if you spot feed and they are also seen more in smaller tanks. Plan to get a couple or three for my 15 gallon tank.

Sometimes they'll hang out in the same place, so if you can spot it's hiding place I think there's a good chance it will keep going there. If it does, then you can see it whenever you want, or move the rocks around so he has to choose a new spot.

Mines the same way. I only see it during feeding time and usually emerges from the same area. There are times when a couple of days go by without seeing it. I also believe that spot feeding the pom pom while feeding the rest of the tank helps them to becomes less shy during feeding time.

Mine hides too, but she stays in her same rock so I can usually find Her without too much trouble. It took a lot of patience and a steady hand, but mine now comes out and takes food from the forceps when I feed.

Archived