Cultivated Reef

Cycle driving me crazy! Why is this happening?

obeythefro

So I started an IM Fusion 10 gallon 2 weeks ago. Started with 6-7 lbs live rock and Caribsea live sand bed ~1" deep and filter floss. I have been dosing ammonia and using microbacter 7. So I keep seeing my ammonia disappear, but nitrite test shows 0 and nitrates are on the rise. Where is the ammonia going without moving through nitrites?

If your using mature live rock that hasn't been out of the water to long there won't have been much die off of the bacteria living on/in them. So there will be plenty of bacteria to consume nitrite as its produce and convert it straight to nitrate.

You should be safe to start slowly adding stock.
Start with hardier cuc, as your feeding them it will increase the bio load and your bacteria populations should increase to compensate.

As ever whatever you do, add things slow, as the bacteria need time to multiply to deal with extra load.

Yep. You might have gotten cured rock, or it simply cycled very quickly.

If you cycled it properly from the beginning, you may even have enough bacteria in there to deal with a high bioload, which may be the case if nitrite increased and decreased that quickly.

Alternatively, if you do see ammonia increase then decrease, it may still not mean that you have cycled properly. It also depends on how much of an ammonia increase there is.

Best way to test your system is to ghost feed your tank. If parameters go down quickly (mostly ammonia and nitrite) then you're good to go!

The down side to live rock is when you have a smart arse aquascape idea that leaves you having 30% of the rock out of the water while you wait for putty to dry over night causing a massive die off and huge ammonia spike on finally getting everything in place and filling the tank. :furious:

Archived