Cultivated Reef

Wretched's JBJ 45RL

Wretched

HarryPotter

Ok, currently making some water. I'll do a 10g today. I did a 15 gallon change the other day as well when I first saw the xenia starting to melt like that. None of my other corals seem to be affected. Just the Xenia, Nest and Acan. I'm just boggled as to why the Xenia on the back wall isn't melting though....

How about that the lower Xenia has less light and relied more on the nutrients you sucked out, whereas the higher Xenia has more lighting and relies less on feeding?

I dunno if it even works like that lol

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the xenia on the back wall are higher than the xenia on the rock... But they're also on the back wall... not dead center in the tank. if you look at my previous photos for referrence. The Acan is all the way on the sandbed and he's about 2 years old... He's been through some tough times as well, not like this one. Never have I had flesh start withering away as such. I'm going to test alk again right now. I have water in the making, so i'll do a 10g change today. Maybe do a heavy feeding of some Roti-feast and reef roids.

How about that the lower Xenia has less light and relied more on the nutrients you sucked out, whereas the higher Xenia has more lighting and relies less on feeding?

I dunno if it even works like that lol

Holy shyte. My alk is reading 12.5, what in the actual F!

Ok, so about 3 weeks ago I got my new shipment of ASV B-ionic 2 part. I've used this for 4 gallons now... maybe this last batch was a bit more potent than my previous?

So after quite a bit of troubleshooting and testing i've came to a conclusion... Hear me out.

I added the increased GFO and carbon(30-40% increase) I noticed the next day that the birdnest was slowly withering away... I didn't acknowledge and figured it was just miniscule because of the addition of more media. The following day it was completely almost dead and the Xenia next to it was in a chemical war with the birdnest... Explains the dead xenia on the rock next to the nest, but the xenia on the back wall is fine...

As for the Acan... I'm pretty sure the stripped water is the culprit.

Not to mention the 15g water change made my dKH 12.5... On top of that I still continuted dosing my regular 35ML of both Ionic A+B... Stripped water. I didn;t take into account the large water change I was doing ontop of my dosing. So up in flames they went.

I did another 10g water change today because I removed the birdnest and a lot of the xenia by hand.

My plan of action is to turn off my doser for a couple of days and continue with small water changes throughout the week.

RIP

20150726_185053_zpsdnrdstpu.jpg

So after quite a bit of troubleshooting and testing i've came to a conclusion... Hear me out.

I added the increased GFO and carbon(30-40% increase) I noticed the next day that the birdnest was slowly withering away... I didn't acknowledge and figured it was just miniscule because of the addition of more media. The following day it was completely almost dead and the Xenia next to it was in a chemical war with the birdnest... Explains the dead xenia on the rock next to the nest, but the xenia on the back wall is fine...

As for the Acan... I'm pretty sure the stripped water is the culprit.

Not to mention the 15g water change made my dKH 12.5... On top of that I still continuted dosing my regular 35ML of both Ionic A+B... Stripped water. I didn;t take into account the large water change I was doing ontop of my dosing. So up in flames they went.

I did another 10g water change today because I removed the birdnest and a lot of the xenia by hand.

My plan of action is to turn off my doser for a couple of days and continue with small water changes throughout the week.

RIP

20150726_185053_zpsdnrdstpu.jpg

Aww Wretched :(

How are ya buddy? :/

Sorry I have stupid fingers and accidentally hit the like button on the last post

Aww Wretched :(

How are ya buddy? :/

Sorry I have stupid fingers and accidentally hit the like button on the last post

No worries bro. I'd like it too if I could. Haha. I'm hoping I can turn my alk issue around. I turned off my doser so it can reduce. My tank consumes a little over 2dkh per day. So i'm hoping by Tuesday morning it'll be around 9 dkh where I keep it then i'll continue dosing.

On another note. I have a Current-USA TrueLumen Actinic LED strip coming so I can mount it to my Sunpower for night viewing :P. I miss the LED visuals, especially now that I have some crazy bright zoas.

No worries bro. I'd like it too if I could. Haha. I'm hoping I can turn my alk issue around. I turned off my doser so it can reduce. My tank consumes a little over 2dkh per day. So i'm hoping by Tuesday morning it'll be around 9 dkh where I keep it then i'll continue dosing.

On another note. I have a Current-USA TrueLumen Actinic LED strip coming so I can mount it to my Sunpower for night viewing :P. I miss the LED visuals, especially now that I have some crazy bright zoas.

I'd even try to run it during the day to see if it'll shimmer for ya! I love moonlights and I think they get under rated as a novelty,which is dumb cause the moon kinda holds sway over the ocean a good bit. Looking forward to this for you sir!

Stay tuned. It'll be here tomorrow! I may try it during the day. I'll mess with some settings. An ati 6 bulb over my tank is already a ton of par... Adding some LED may be overkill. The fixture is only 19W... And one bulb on my t5 is 24. But the difference of LED and T5... May be harmful. I'll see what I can do. All I know is im depressed about the coral deaths, but i'm also happy because it opens up space for me to look at a coral I wish to have in my tank!

HarryPotter

I'll be on the lookout for pink and gold hammer :D

DUDE YOU WON ZIAS RADION!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! GOOD LUCK!

Whatcha gonna do with it? Its the Original XR30w I believe

DUDE YOU WON ZIAS RADION!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! GOOD LUCK!Whatcha gonna do with it? Its the Original XR30w I believe

Niiiiiiice! Congrats bro!

DUDE YOU WON ZIAS RADION!!!! HOLY CRAP!!! GOOD LUCK!

Whatcha gonna do with it? Its the Original XR30w I believe

Niiiiiiice! Congrats bro!

Damn! I'm super stoked. In a very very dark and sad day in the fish tank world... There is light! (no pun intended)

Damn! I'm super stoked. In a very very dark and sad day in the fish tank world... There is light! (no pun intended)

OH NO! What happened???

Check a page or so back... and my final verdict a couple posts ago. Yikes!

Tank looks so empty! But on that note... The Xenia and birdnest are no longer creating shadows over the euphyllias....

2015-07-27_13.42.41_zpstn2ubs92.jpg

I saw those posts, but I thought something else happened today and got worried!

Nope, everything is still thriving.

Any ideas why my dang fish are eating the left over Xenia skin off the rocks?

HarryPotter

That Zoa rock is SWEET!

Love the schooling chromis- you have 6 in there?

I can't tell if the skimmer is on or not- how is it working out recently?

Thanks dude, here's a closer look. I absolutely love it. Already popping new heads on a couple frags.

2015-08-01_12.56.09_zpszrts5r8d.jpg

That Zoa rock is SWEET!

Love the schooling chromis- you have 6 in there?

I can't tell if the skimmer is on or not- how is it working out recently?

I have 5 chromis', 6 if you count the tang. She likes to chromis during the day, clown by night.

-Skimmer is working well, I had just fed some frozen food so it's adjust to that. I ended up cutting off that air cyclinder and adding an adjustable air valve, and boy... what a difference. Don't have to turn the skimmer at all to adjust. Just that valve.

HarryPotter

Thanks dude, here's a closer look. I absolutely love it. Already popping new heads on a couple frags.

2015-08-01_12.56.09_zpszrts5r8d.jpg

I have 5 chromis', 6 if you count the tang. She likes to chromis during the day, clown by night.

-Skimmer is working well, I had just fed some frozen food so it's adjust to that. I ended up cutting off that air cyclinder and adding an adjustable air valve, and boy... what a difference. Don't have to turn the skimmer at all to adjust. Just that valve.

Thats an incredible Zoa rock.. Its going to look ABSURDLY cool when they jump the plugs!

Chromic are so cool. Really hoping to get some more fish in my tank, maybe they'll be next.

Im going to try that out on my skimmer as well. I already cut off the air cylinder but don't have the valve and its a bit of a PITA. Skims wet or not at all recently :(

Thought of you when I saw this. Three colors of Octospawn for $65 SHIPPED, thats a killer deal

http://saltcritters.com/free-ship-frag-pack-58/

Thats an incredible Zoa rock.. Its going to look ABSURDLY cool when they jump the plugs!

Chromic are so cool. Really hoping to get some more fish in my tank, maybe they'll be next.

Im going to try that out on my skimmer as well. I already cut off the air cylinder but don't have the valve and its a bit of a PITA. Skims wet or not at all recently :(

Thought of you when I saw this. Three colors of Octospawn for $65 SHIPPED, thats a killer deal

http://saltcritters.com/free-ship-frag-pack-58/

Try the air valves, I got like 100 of them for 5$ on amazon. It makes the skimmer SO much easier to tune. Chromis are awesome, I love them. They school, and are so peaceful, not to mention add a great bluish/yellow under LED.

That pack you just linked is amazing! I don't think I have enough room for all that though. Definitely one, but damn... I'm tempted.

Archived