Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tunze Care Magnet Nano

TeamIM24

We received our Tunze Care Magnet today and I immediately put it to work. It is replacing our Mag-Float which we have had for since we got our tank (about a year ago).

Overall I am already really impressed. It is easy to use and does a very good job handling the algae on the glass of our IM 24. I love that you can go to the sand bed to wipe out the algae without worrying about sand getting trapped between the scraper and the glass. This is literally impossible with the Tunze Care Magnet.

It was easy to transition between the different walls (left, front, right) even with the curved corners. The first couple times the tank side fell to the sand but after that I figured out how to get it back and forth without any difficulty.

Will it handle coraline algae? Yes and no. I was able to get some coraline off the front glass but it took quite a bit of back and forth to remove spots that were half the size of a dime. I am pretty confident the other two larger versions would tackle it easily since they have a metal blade. The nano only comes with plastic blades so either you are going to want use a scraper with a metal blade to tackle coraline or be ok with a lot of scraping to get it off with the nano.

I would recommend it over the other nano scrapers because it won't trap sand and scratch the glass. That was the main reason I was interested in it and decided to purchase it. For that alone it is worth a shot.

Yup, it works quite well. I use the Mag-Float to take care of the glass areas above the sand bed and use the Tunze on tough algae at/near the water line and also any that's between the sand and the glass.

I have managed to pick up a sand grain or two, so I'm still careful when I'm in the sand. The larger the sand grain, the less chance of picking one up (I have some fine grain along with larger sand particles).

• 1 month later...

Will it handle coraline algae? Yes and no. I was able to get some coraline off the front glass but it took quite a bit of back and forth to remove spots that were half the size of a dime. I am pretty confident the other two larger versions would tackle it easily since they have a metal blade. The nano only comes with plastic blades so either you are going to want use a scraper with a metal blade to tackle coraline or be ok with a lot of scraping to get it off with the nano.

I wanted to add that you can mount the metal blade from the blade set (Tunze productcode 0220.154) to the nano version as well. It only takes a few seconds to swap them out.

I use the small plastic blades normally but for stubborn algae I'll swap out the small plastic blade for the larger metal one, it won't go around corners with the metal blade attached tho.

I wanted to add that you can mount the metal blade from the blade set (Tunze productcode 0220.154) to the nano version as well. It only takes a few seconds to swap them out.

I use the small plastic blades normally but for stubborn algae I'll swap out the small plastic blade for the larger metal one, it won't go around corners with the metal blade attached tho.

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

• 11 months later...

I got myself one for christmas, and I wish I hadn't wasted money on all the other scrapers I had bought. This one is really amazing. I still use a razor blade for the hard stuff, but for regular maintenance, the Tunze is fast and easy. The curved corners really make moving from one pane of glass to the other pretty easy.

My snails must hate me now, because all that easy food is gone...

I have to say, those magnets are crazy strong, so be mindful when attaching it to the glass.

Archived