Top Shelf Aquatics

What should I upgrade in my new (old) biocube.

alanwest09872

alanwest09872

I have had my 14 gallon Biocube up and running for 2 weeks now. I purchased it from craigslist so it came with a bunch of extras for a really good price.

My tank so far.

1. 14 Gallon Oceanic Biocube (Older model biocube)

2. 5-7 lbs of live rock

3. Stock Lighting

4. 20 lbs Live sand (arganite)

5. 2 clown fish (had to take them they came with the tank)

6. Removed tab already in the back

7. Some kind of circulation pump not sure which one.

My Upgrade plan.

1. Turning Center chamber into refugium (will be done right after Christmas)

2. Upgrading return pump from 3rd chamber to the tank (not sure which one I should get but I know I wanna upgrade

3. Want a new Circulation pump (again not sure which one to get. I want one thats small but will circulate more then enough water)

4. Led upgrade kit (steve's Leds)

5. Rodi system

6. Better test kit

7. Better Protein Skimmer

8. Adding more Live rock shortly have already purchased an am currently curing. (stuck with high Nitrites right now)

My Guesses on cost.

1. For the Refugium 40 Bucks (I will make something at home out of eggshell crates) (price includes light)

2. I have looked at a ton of return pumps online im guessing about 50-60 bucks total (more then willing to spend more if needed

3. For Circulation Pump hard to guess I have seen so many things online. I really need help with this one. Guessing between 50-200 Bucks

4. Leds are going to be Steve'sLed Biocube kit. Unless someone experienced can tell me something better 330 Bucks

5. RoDi system 80 Bucks.

6. I am looking for a really good test kit for a reef tank. If anyone knows a kit that includes everything thats pretty accurate please let me know. (using api right now Testing ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate)

7. I have an oceanic biocube Protein skimmer. Would love to upgrade to something better.

I would love some options on my upgrade plan. Am I missing anything important. Is there anything that I have forgotten (besides the price of livestock lol) I will be doing this over a 2.5 Month period

alanwest09872

Think I got a good plan for that Mp10

1. Take large piece of live rock and cut it in half

2. Drill out large hole so I can place the Mp10 fan part inside of it

3. Take rock and hang it on the glass

4. put fan into the big hole so it cant be seen

What do you guys think good idea?

bare with the spelling and grammer errors. I was in a horrible accident a few years back and ever since my ability to write or type the english language has left me wanting

Seems like a cool idea, but you might run into trouble restricting the flow around it. It needs to pull water from the sides. If it was blocked or restricted, you might damage it. And it would certainly affect flow rate.

The mp10 is a sexy piece of equipment. I wouldn't try to hide it in my tank

Deleted User 8

IMO, an RO/DI set up should be your next purchase. Probably should have been your first!

Seriously, life is so much better for you and your tank if you become master of your own water. Make sure to get a TDS meter too. Don't opt for the bulit in type, get a hand held unit.

Buzz

IMO, an RO/DI set up should be your next purchase. Probably should

Seriously, life is so much better for you and your tank if you become master of your own water. Make sure to get a TDS meter too. Don't opt for the bulit in type, get a hand held unit.

Buzz

What's wrong with built in types?
Deleted User 8

What's wrong with built in types?

Well, can they be easily removed and used to test water in other containers? Can they be easily calibrated? Easily replaced?

I had a water change emergency and was able to take my meter into WalMart to test the water they have in a dispenser machine. It read 0 TDS so I bought some. I use my TDS meter all the time, and not just for my reef. We had a well pump issue last week and it was great to be able to test my tap water.

Buzz

alanwest09872

Oh I buy the 88 cent disstilled stuff from walmart not the stuff out of the machine. I know its not as good as Rodi but its not horrible either lol.

Deleted User 8

Oh I buy the 88 cent disstilled stuff from walmart not the stuff out of the machine. I know its not as good as Rodi but its not horrible either lol.

Buying water is a PITA. Water is THE most important factor in this hobby, bar none. A $20 TDS meter is chump change in this hobby too. Test every drop of water going into the system. Do not trust any source of water, even if you have your own 10 stage RO/DI unit. Hell, my tap water from my well never goes above 20ppm, but I only use RO/DI that I make myself.

Besides, it is one less factor that I need to scratch my head over. If my tank goes pear-shaped, I never have to think about tracking down water issues.

The 0 TDS stuff out of the machine at my wally mart was cheaper than that, 37 cents American.

Buzz

Well, can they be easily removed and used to test water in other containers? Can they be easily calibrated? Easily replaced?

I had a water change emergency and was able to take my meter into WalMart to test the water they have in a dispenser machine. It read 0 TDS so I bought some. I use my TDS meter all the time, and not just for my reef. We had a well pump issue last week and it was great to be able to test my tap water.

Buzz

Cool I just wondering if the one I had on my 6 stage Rodi didn't work so well, I agree a portable one would be nice!

Archived