Cultivated Reef

Electric blue infestation! What are they?!?

Thomasweaver

Not sure what these are but they are neon electric blue, you can barely see them with the naked eye. I saw something similar that looked a little shrimp like that was larger. Not sure if these are some sort of blue copepods, amphipods, or Isopods? They are all over the rocks. Any idea? I've never experienced anything like them before. They move very slowly some are stationary.

post-85099-0-60619800-1418483042_thumb.jpg

post-85099-0-85147000-1418483150_thumb.jpg

post-85099-0-50803100-1418483193_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 8

Can you grab one of them and get some shots outside the tank?

Looks like some kind of flatworm or nudie? Hard to tell from the pics. I hope they are harmless because they look cool. Pretty color!

Buzz

Mr. Microscope

Can you grab one of them and get some shots outside the tank?

Looks like some kind of flatworm or nudie? Hard to tell from the pics. I hope they are harmless because they look cool. Pretty color!

Buzz

Lol! Was thinking the exact same thing. My other thought from your shrimp-like description could be some sort of isopod? Hard to tell from the pics. Can you get a clearer image?

Unfortunately I have tried several cameras theta re so tiny I can't get a close up shot. They have an almost bioluminescence to them. I might need a microscope mr. Microsope!

Mr. Microscope

If you can collect some and send them to me, I'd be happy to oblige. PM me if you're interested. I'm very curious about these things.

Look like blurry nudis to me.

Do you have any blue zoas, palys, or corals. Nudis take on the color of what they eat.

Suck one up, squirt it into some hydrogen peroxide.. if it disintegrates, most probably a nudibranch.

I took some off of a rock with a syringe and put them in a glass. They immediately changed color to clear. I got a few shots of them in that state as close as I could get and I'm going to say that they are some sort of flatworm. The shrimp like looking item I saw earlier I think may have been a amphipod? possibly just grazing by them. I'll post some of the pics I got from the glass. Actually the video looks better than the pics and you can see the movement. I'm uploading on youtube now.

Let me know if you agree on a form of flatworm. Now these are are about the size of a grain of sand, the longest I've seen is about 3 grains of sand long. They are ALL over my rocks, literally everywhere. i do not see any of them on my corals at all. I did have 2 camel shrimp and 2 sexy shrimp die recently. I did have some fish die a couple weeks ago, not sure if any of this is related. Two fire fish, a chromis, and a yellow clown goby have disappeared in the last few weeks, I didn't see any bodies to diagnose their death.

Sorry everyone I'm new to the site, I really appreciate your feedback! I have a 16g Innovative Marine Nuvo 16. It's 6 months old was doing very well before this explosion besides the choraline algae growing pretty slowly. I have a carpet anemone in the tank which was a horrible mistake (thanks to my boyfriend picking it out!). So the fish I have in the tank are damsels, chromis, and a watchman goby (not getting any more expensive fish until annie the anemone is moved to a larger tank. I'll post some pics of the tank in a bit.

And they are color changing? Wow. You see in my original pics they are neon electric blue. Hmm so if they are flat worms what's next. Flatworm exit and a six line wrasse army?

There are many types of flatworms and some are nasty, but most are relatively benign. If they are not bothering your corals, then no immediate worries. Over populations are typically self-limiting and usually subside over time. Just need to figure out what they are feeding off of and limit the food supply.

With the very common red planaria flatworms they are actually quite toxic and killing them off all at once can be bad for the reef tank. I had them once many years ago and used to siphon out whatever I could see every day or two and they subsided, then disappeared, after a few short weeks of reduced tank feedings.

Look like blurry nudis to me.

Do you have any blue zoas, palys, or corals. Nudis take on the color of what they eat

Suck one up, squirt it into some hydrogen peroxide.. if it disintegrates, most probably a nudibranch.

Thanks no blue corals/ Zoas. Interesting to know though!

There are many types of flatworms and some nasty, but most are relatively benign. If they are not bothering your corals then no immediate worries. Overpopulations are typically self-limiting and usually subside over time. Just need to figure out what they are feeding off of and limit the food supply.

With the very common red planaria flatworms they are actually quite toxic and killing them off all at once can be bad for the reef tank. I had them once many years ago and used to siphon our whatever I could see every day or two and they subsided, then disappeared, after a few short weeks of reduced tank feedings.

Thanks so much I appreciate your feedback! Sounds like a good plan.

they likely have some degree of iridescence and were reflecting your aquarium light back at you, hence the 'color change'

Mr. Microscope

+1 to Nano Sapiens. Don't jump the gun on treatment. Likely, the population will wain in time. They're definitely not the type people worry about if they are indeed flatworms.

Woah! Those are really cool/different! I've never seen any flatworms move that quick either. Cool lil species there. Like everyone else said, I say just let them be and they will likely self regulate in terms of population. Unless your coral show signs of stress.

Archived