Innovative Marine Aquariums

Crab ID assistance needed

Simmy

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, there is such an amazing amount of information!

I need some help with working out whether this crab would be reef safe. He arrived in my tank as a hitch hiker on live rock along with a rock dwelling cucumber (which I am also unsure of whether to keep)

Has anyone on this forum seen this critter before?

post-86301-0-22017100-1418466660_thumb.jpg

Have one in my tank too. Also came as a hitchhiker. No idea what it is. Took a pic and showed it to the guy at my LFS and he said it was reef safe but I'm not 100% sure about it.

However most crabs are not reef safe but it should be alright as long as you keep them well fed.

The only crab I keep is an emerald mithrax for algae removal. Mine eats bryopsis/GHA/bubble algae and stays off the coral so I'm very lucky to find this guy. The crab you have looks like a type of mithrax crab but it is not of the emerald variety

Thanks everyone, think I will try to catch and remove him. That will be fun! He was hiding in there for a few weeks before he made his presence known.

the plastic tubes reef epoxy putty come in work well to capture stuff you dont want in your tank. Just stick a piece of shrimp or whatever and lay it on the bottom of your tank. Keep an eye on it and you should be able to grab the whole thing before the crab has a chance to crawl out. if you dont have any of those then small water bottles do the trick just as well

Archived