Cultivated Reef

Tired of saving suicidal nerites!

seanoli

I started with five and now I'm down to the two that don't try to escape the tank. They even do their jobs, nomming on algae all over the glass, rocks, etc.

jedimasterben

They're not suicidal. They are intertidal snails that live on among the shoreline rocks and mangroves and move above and below the water. They are doing exactly as they do in nature, cannot fault them for doing what they've evolved to do.

They're not suicidal. They are intertidal snails that live on among the shoreline rocks and mangroves and move above and below the water. They are doing exactly as they do in nature, cannot fault them for doing what they've evolved to do.

I kind of miss my nano cube for this reason. Whenever they felt like hanging out above the water line, they just went for the rim of the tank and sat on it. Right now I've got the lid to the tank set up so they have about an inch of glass (and then the lid, of course) if they want out.

In both my tanks they seem to eventually learn that it's bad to go beyond the top edge of the tank. The nerites in my older tank never leave the tank. The nerites in my new tank were out all the time in the first month, but not so much now in the second month. Just keep throwing them back in :)

Archived