Top Shelf Aquatics

Can New Life Spectrum Thera A help my clownfish?

DriftingNemo

I've had bad luck wih buying my first 2 fish in my new tank. The first one was a Blue Reef Chromis with a lip fungus which I managed to cure quite easily. Now this one is a bit worse, it's a large Ocellaris Clownfish that looked absolutely fine in the fish store. When I got him home about 4 days ago, I noticed that his poop is white. I have not seen him eat yet, I even tried to dip some pellet food in saltwater mixed with crushed up garlic which didn't work. So from what I've read, he has some sort of internal parasites, and I do not want this fish to die. He swims around the tank through out the day, but near the evening he just hides out in his little cave. I've read that NLS Thera A can help cure internal parasites. Does it actually work? I just don't want to buy a product that isn't effective. Thanks.

jedimasterben

All that the 'Thera A' pellets contain is extra garlic, which in practice does nothing other than give it a different flavor to entice the fish into eating more. It doesn't help with parasites, internal or external. Treat the fish with praziquantel for internal parasites.

All that the 'Thera A' pellets contain is extra garlic, which in practice does nothing other than give it a different flavor to entice the fish into eating more. It doesn't help with parasites, internal or external. Treat the fish with praziquantel for internal parasites.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read alot of good things about praziquantel, I'm just worried that if I buy the NLS food, the clown will just ignore it like the food that I currently use.

By the looks of it, no one sells praziquantel in the UK. I can get it shipped from the U.S. for a crazy amount of money which would take at least 3 weeks to arrive. Looks like I'll have to try the NLS..

I also have a large bottle of MelaFix. Is it worth trying?

jedimasterben

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read alot of good things about praziquantel, I'm just worried that if I buy the NLS food, the clown will just ignore it like the food that I currently use.

By the looks of it, no one sells praziquantel in the UK. I can get it shipped from the U.S. for a crazy amount of money which would take at least 3 weeks to arrive. Looks like I'll have to try the NLS..

I also have a large bottle of MelaFix. Is it worth trying?

NLS is one of the highest quality foods that you can purchase, so I would recommend you to use it no matter if you treat the fish or not.

From a quick google search, it looks like there are some alternatives to PraziPro available to the UK, so I would do some research on that.

For Melafix, no, it will not help in your situation.

I got ninja'd. Buy the above :)

NLS is one of the highest quality foods that you can purchase, so I would recommend you to use it no matter if you treat the fish or not. From a quick google search, it looks like there are some alternatives to PraziPro available to the UK, so I would do some research on that. For Melafix, no, it will not help in your situation.I got ninja'd. Buy the above :)
That stuff does look quite potent. 1g for every 250 litres. I just need to find out whether or not it's reef safe.

Have you checked with any vet or farm supply? Praziquantel is a very common medication for animals other than fish. It would be almost inconceivable if it wasn't readily available there. Look for Drontal. Here possibly as well: http://www.orchardfisheries.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium'>http://www.orchardfisheries.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium Metronidazole is another one you might need if it's not worms specifically.
Thank you :)

My NLS pellets smell like dry dog food.

There's potatoes and carrots and stuff in them.

Fish don't eat carrots and whole grain wheat. That's stupid.

Fish food should smell like fish or fish eggs or shrimp.

jedimasterben

That stuff does look quite potent. 1g for every 250 litres. I just need to find out whether or not it's reef safe.

Thank you :)

Praziquantel is moderately reef safe in that it won't harm corals or fish (in prescribed quantities, of course) but some inverts like feather dusters, copepods may not like it.

My NLS pellets smell like dry dog food.

There's potatoes and carrots and stuff in them.

Fish don't eat carrots and whole grain wheat. That's stupid.

Fish food should smell like fish or fish eggs or shrimp.

http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=63

I don't have any feather dusters by the looks of it and I haven't seen any copepods. As harsh as this sounds, I don't want to spend a lot of money on medications that may or may not work on the fish. For now I'll stick with the NLS Thera A. Apparently some fish can get white poop from transportation stress and poor acclimation. I drip acclimated the fish for about an hour, so thats not a problem. But I had to walk from the fish store to my house in cold weather for about 20 minutes, so that might have had something to do with it.

jedimasterben

Apparently some fish can get white poop from transportation stress and poor acclimation.

So they get internal parasites from being shipped? :huh:

So they get internal parasites from being shipped? :huh:

Apparently white poop can be caused by stress. I read this on the Internet, and if it's on the Internet then it has to be true XD

Archived