Pod Your Reef

Water Changes ... Brainstorm Challenge

hahahohol

With these smaller tanks, typically the only means of nutrient export is water changes. Such a small percentage would quickly lead to a buildup of nutrients. Larger more frequent water changes help keep things stable (preferably weekly, but biweekly can work with a very small bioload and corals that aren't uptaking lots of calcium or other nutrients). It also prevents the need for dosing to keep micronutrient levels where they need to be for healthy growth.

You can get inexpensive pumps and 15-30W heaters for less than $15 each. An extra thermometer is only a couple of dollars. Grab a two or three gallon bucket for another couple of bucks and you are good to go. Those heaters won't have adjustable settings, but they shouldn't over heat 2-3 galons of water. If you use a quick mixing salt, it shouldn't pose an issue. I have a 15W BettaStik heater and it gets a gallon or two up to temp (from mid 60's) around the same time the Coralife salt is done mixing (20 minutes or so).

You can use what ever you use to vacuum/siphon the tank with to siphon from the bucket to refill. Or a slightly larger hose if that is too slow.

Brandon does go to the exreme with his, partly to show how resiliant these tanks can be and that proper maintenance is critical to keep the tank long term, but he also does have a one gallon reef vase that is going on, what, 11 years now? (I've seen his vase through other fresh water and salt water forums)

Oh, and I have used peroxide to spot treat algae that came in on some rocks. The zoas don't seem to mind too much when something around 7% gets on them if they are closed up (diluted from 43%, which would definately damage them), but some of the SPS close up for a bit after the tank is refilled even though they weren't on rocks that were treated.

Quick update. I added more frags and now don't want to sell the tank anymore :)

BTW, i tried adding pulsating Xenia, but it didn't want to pulsate, so I placed it back in my 40gal tank. (And FYI, It didnt pulsate in my 40gal under PC lights...until I upgraded to LEDs)

Also, I have some brown detritus showing on my rocks and sand. I'm planning to do a 98.84751% water change this upcoming weekend...which will be my 1st water change in 3-4 weeks - i think <_< .

post-86380-0-38633000-1418736044_thumb.jpg

post-86380-0-38896800-1418736049_thumb.jpg

post-86380-0-89143700-1418736051_thumb.jpg

post-86380-0-51688700-1418736055_thumb.jpg

post-86380-0-40845800-1418736060_thumb.jpg

Archived