Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clownfish jumped.. RIP

OCNcheffy

I have a Fluval Spec V with the orbit marine LED bar over top, which I thought would provide enough coverage to prevent a jump. The worst part about it is, I was sitting right next to the tank when I heard a little splash from the jump. I checked just 2 minutes prior and saw both my clowns with a flashlight, since it's the morning right now and all lights are off.

I frantically looked everywhere around the tank, under the desk it's on, all over the floor, in the overflow, and nothing! I can't find the poor guy anywhere otherwise I could have easily saved him. Literally tore everything around the tank apart to find him. I'm hoping that when I'm home from work today, he'll just have hid somewhere and was dodging the flashlight.. It's killing me that my finally paired clowns are no more. Maybe this is a chance to finally get a black clownfish as well.

Deleted User 8

Bummer. It might have been the flashlight that spooked it to jump. In those situations it's best to turn everything off and listen to try and hear it flopping. Found a few that way.

I have a 34g rimless with no top and I was debating not getting any fish at all since I like the open top. I really want a few fish though. Fish can get through the smallest gap even on a covered tank. Some are very determined!

Buzz

I figured it might have been the flashlight.. But it was like 2-3 minutes after and it wasn't direct light. Guess I'm gonna have to look around more on the floor if it's still not showing up in the tank when I get home. The lid is on now, which has complete coverage, but I was having a heat issue with it being covered and it doesn't look as nice.

Deleted User 8

Might want to try come clear netting for the top. Might help with the heat issues. They look better than a full on top IMO.

Buzz

pouring-out-liquor.gif

That 40 looks warm and flat...

ive lost like 3 designer clownfish to jumping. All of my fish have jumped i saved a few. Tops are kind of ugly but well worth it. I wont make that mistake again

i had my clown fish jumped today while i'm not at home, when i see my clown is on the floor i quickly toss it back into the tank and after awhile it came back to life, thank god it didnt jump out for too long before i got home. right now my clown is cover with dog hair and dirt from carpet, what is the best way to clean up the fish?

my clown seems to swim ok, is there any sign to look for if the fish have been harm badly?

Sorry you lost a clown I also lost a designer clown and I had the top on but had pushed it aside a bit to feed and forgot to move it back

Last night I forgot to put the top on and this morning I could not find my linear Blenny looked every where for him put some food into the tank and nothing I was sure he jumped and the cat ate him.

Got a light and looked into my sump and there was a little Blenny face looking up at me....problem how do I get him back into the tank !

If you get a black clown try to get it smaller than your existing clown I had no aggression from either clown

My FW tropical has condensation trays on top of it with almost no gaps. Yet I still found a tetra in the middle of the trays once. God only knows how he managed it or even how long the poor bugger was there (he was pretty dried out) but if a fish is going to suicide it's self it will normally find away no matter what you do.

Archived