inTank Media Baskets

ReefCleaners Rock

Smithjm5

Has anyone on here used the Reef Cleaners "flordia reef rock"? Thoughts on it, likes, dislikes would be appreciated, and pictures if you have them!

I just set up my new tank with it. Best looking rock I've used. It has a ton of holes in it and each piece I got was interesting. My fish love all the giddy holes, which are also great for frag plugs. For the price, there's no better.

yep, I think I ordered like 30 or 40 lbs when I upgraded.. pretty nice rock. if I were doing it over again I'd probably go with gulf live rock, but as far as dry rock goes reefcleaners is pretty nice.

Deleted User 8

Yeah, I like the reef cleaners dry rock. Good stuff! Very porous, full of holes. I was able to stack mine nice and tight without using epoxy or cable ties, etc. Got a great selection of very nice pieces. Just tell them what you are using it for and what type of scape you want and they will hook you up.

I also got a discount code for CUC with my order, which is nice.

It is devoid of life though. I used Bio-Spira to seed bacteria in my tank. First time using something like that. It had an expiration on the bottle of Feb 2016 so I figured it was fresh. It is working and I have started a nice cycle! I had the tank filled up with rock in place for almost a week before I added the Bio-Spira. During that time all tests were 0. I dosed the tank with ammonia and got the ppm up to 3 then poured in the bottle of bacteria. The next day Ammonia was about 0.5ppm, nitrite was 10ppm and nitrate was 5. Not too shabby.

Buzz

Love the rock, I've been ordering rock from John since 2010. If you need specific sizes, just write him a note and he will try his best to get you what you need.

A+++

Glad to hear everyone likes it, I'll probably be ordering about 50 or 60 pounds of it soon. Hopefully he can get me a couple of bigger pieces for an idea I have!

I've heard great things about it. I ordered 15 pounds and its gonna be here today. I'll be taking pics of it and sharing it on my build thread.

I've heard great things about it. I ordered 15 pounds and its gonna be here today. I'll be taking pics of it and sharing it on my build thread.

Awesome, I'll be sure to check back later tonight!

I somehow have had 3-5 reefcleaners shipments not delivered to me due to UPS damage. I feel with that many, it is something on John's side. Very aggravating and a lot of wasted time.

I go with BRS now, and have never had shipping issues.

I somehow have had 3-5 reefcleaners shipments not delivered to me due to UPS damage. I feel with that many, it is something on John's side. Very aggravating and a lot of wasted time.

I go with BRS now, and have never had shipping issues.

Man that's a bummer to hear after so many good reviews, i'll probably still give it a shot at least once.

Man that's a bummer to hear after so many good reviews, i'll probably still give it a shot at least once.

fwiw, that's the first time I've ever heard an ill word spoken of John @ reefcleaners. and quite unfair imo, much more likely he has some careless UPS jerks in his area.

^ +1

I have ordered dry rock from reefcleaners 3-4 times and it has never been a problem. I had a problem recently with a quick crew but John took care of it right away.

It wasn't really an "ill" word. I still go to him for clean up crews and stuff, just I have had multiple bad experiences with getting rock from him.

fwiw, that's the first time I've ever heard an ill word spoken of John @ reefcleaners. and quite unfair imo, much more likely he has some careless UPS jerks in his area.

That's what I was thinking could be the delivery man

It wasn't really an "ill" word. I still go to him for clean up crews and stuff, just I have had multiple bad experiences with getting rock from him.

No worries, like you said not ill words just your experience, I still appreciate you telling your experience with them

yep, I think I ordered like 30 or 40 lbs when I upgraded.. pretty nice rock. if I were doing it over again I'd probably go with gulf live rock, but as far as dry rock goes reefcleaners is pretty nice.

I've used both reef cleaners and gulf live rock. You get an insane amount of hitch hikers in the gulf live rock and beautiful coralline and coral that are illegal to buy or sell, but it is as porous and heavy as a brick.it also had tons of detritus that even after cleaning it well, months later it was still oozing out of the few holes it had. The Reed cleaners rock is perfect in terms of shapes and the porous-ness, but it's just that, dry rock. To me, half the fun of setting up a tank is seeing all the critters you didn't know you had. In a perfect world, I would like to use 75% reef cleaners and 25% glr.

I've used both reef cleaners and gulf live rock. You get an insane amount of hitch hikers in the gulf live rock and beautiful coralline and coral that are illegal to buy or sell, but it is as porous and heavy as a brick.it also had tons of detritus that even after cleaning it well, months later it was still oozing out of the few holes it had. The Reed cleaners rock is perfect in terms of shapes and the porous-ness, but it's just that, dry rock. To me, half the fun of setting up a tank is seeing all the critters you didn't know you had. In a perfect world, I would like to use 75% reef cleaners and 25% glr.

That's the thing with me, i'd rather know 100% what's going in my tank haha. I don't like surprises

Just ask him to double box the rock.

It's good rock, probably the best dead rock available.

I use it to make realistic frag plugs, plates, and disks.

That's the thing with me, i'd rather know 100% what's going in my tank haha. I don't like surprises

Half the fun and excitement is discovering all the neat little critters, you don't get that with dry rock ;)

This is 50lbs on my 7520140910_215400.jpg

After 4 months 20141208_200931.jpg

That's a great looking tank! How long did it take the rock to color up?

Half the fun and excitement is discovering all the neat little critters, you don't get that with dry rock ;)

They don't all play nice though aha

That's a great looking tank! How long did it take the rock to color up?

Thanks, took a lot of work this get it running. It took about 4 months to get the coraline to spread. I had a rock with purple coraline already and scrape some of it off so it could spread in the tank.

Archived