Pod Your Reef

Help Me ID This Coral.

Snow_Phoenix

Hi, can anyone help me ID this coral? Got it for U$D 3.00 from my LFS. It's hard, encrusting, shows no signs of visible PE during feeding times and is actually a dull, greenish color with reddish ridges/bumps (crappy cell phone pic makes it look teal and brown instead). Also no sweeper tentacles and no visible orifices/mouths. My first thought is some sort of chalice, but I'm not sure.9BkDrj8.png

mHyDOIG.png

Wait, does it stand for polyp extension? If so, no, mine never send out sweepers. And the polyps only look like peach fuzz

LOL I never take pics of mine cause I kinda hate the coral It's right there in front of the Favia

photobucket-6105-1383066005374_zps74c217

LOL I shoulda know that one. Anyway yeah hard to say did you happen to feel any skeletal structure as you were moving it around?

LOL I shoulda know that one. Anyway yeah hard to say did you happen to feel any skeletal structure as you were moving it around?

I felt bumps, but nothing else. Sorry if I'm not being helpful enough, I'm genuinely stumped on this one. :unsure:

Wait, does it stand for polyp extension? If so, no, mine never send out sweepers. And the polyps only look like peach fuzz

LOL I never take pics of mine cause I kinda hate the coral It's right there in front of the Favia

photobucket-6105-1383066005374_zps74c217

Just scrolled up and saw this - it looks similar, but no fuzz on mine. If mine is meant to have some fuzz, how do I coax it from doing so in the first place?

I'm actually starting to doubt it's a Hydno. If it were a chalice they have ribbed skeletons... Might have to watch it grow out in order to get an ID.

I'm actually starting to doubt it's a Hydno. If it were a chalice they have ribbed skeletons... Might have to watch it grow out in order to get an ID.

Noted and will keep an eye on it. Although since it has no polyps and no mouth, I honestly wonder how it feeds in the first place. For now I'm keeping it at the front of my tank on the sandbed. It seems to puff up a bit around the edges when I was basting it gently with reef roids, so I'm taking that as a sign that it's okay with it.

Archived