Coral Vue Hydros

New nano reefer

Infinitereef

Hi im new to this forum and i figured i would get on here and say hi to my fellow reefers. I got my tank up and running waiting for this cycle to start. My tank is the IM Nuvo8.

Filtration

Caddy basket

Filter floss, chemipure elite, and purigen

Lighting

OCreef par38 full spectrum (dimmable)

Aqualifter pump

Jbj ATO

Hydor koralia 240

Stock pump still

image_zps25cfcaf0.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you guys. Any ideas where else i could place the powerhead. Its creating that big dip in front of the tank.

What works best with the other nuvo8 tanks out there.

Welcome!

When I had an MP10 running in my nuvo 8, the only place that worked for me was on the right wall facing directly left, and I had to keep it

at about 30% power.

With that being said, I ended up selling it to make money to put towards other upgrades. I changed out my return pump for a MJ900 and with a spin stream, it was all the flow I needed.

Sell the MP10, buy a used Jebao WP10 (set it to the lowest setting) for like $35 and use the rest of the money for corals. :D

And welcome to NR!

image_zps0b1163b7.jpg

Ok would you guys take out the shrimp now since its between .25-.50ppm ammonia or keep it in there and do a pwc when it gets too high.

image_zps3031636c.jpg

Moved the powerhead on the right wall now so hopefully i get better flow that way.

I'd angle your PH towards the surface. As far as your shrimp... you might as well leave him and see if he lives. If you have another tank though, that'd def. be best.

:welcome:

nice looking tank. mp10 is a bit overkill for this size tank, but it's a nice pump and as the sand bed matures it shouldn't blow around as much.

I'd angle your PH towards the surface. As far as your shrimp... you might as well leave him and see if he lives. If you have another tank though, that'd def. be best.

It was shrimp to get the tank cycled and help the ammonia rise up. Its at 1.0ppm yesterday so would a PWC be needed or just wait it out?

nice looking tank. mp10 is a bit overkill for this size tank, but it's a nice pump and as the sand bed matures it shouldn't blow around as much.

It's a hydor nano 240. Thought about buying a mp10 but its kinda spendy.

Welcome! And no the other guy had one said it was to much for his nuvo hehe :)

Thanks for the clarification. I hope this thing will be cycled within another week and a half.

It was shrimp to get the tank cycled and help the ammonia rise up. Its at 1.0ppm yesterday so would a PWC be needed or just wait it out?

Pull that sucker out. Then wait for the ammonia to become undectable and test for nitrate and phosphate. Do a large enough water change to bring phosphate down below 0.03 ppm and nitrate below 10 ppm.

If you used dry rock versus live rock, I'd also add a small bottle of DrTIM's One & Only to beef up bacteria populations before adding a small, hardy fish. However, if you used live rock, just add a small cleanup crew, wait a week, then add a small hardy fish.

Pull that sucker out. Then wait for the ammonia to become undectable and test for nitrate and phosphate. Do a large enough water change to bring phosphate down below 0.03 ppm and nitrate below 10 ppm.

If you used dry rock versus live rock, I'd also add a small bottle of DrTIM's One & Only to beef up bacteria populations before adding a small, hardy fish. However, if you used live rock, just add a small cleanup crew, wait a week, then add a small hardy fish.

I used pukani dry rock and i did a acid bath and rodi water soak for 2 days. I wont be looking for any kind of fish anytime soon. Mostly corals ill probably be looking for some fish sometime in january or February. Will bio spira work just as good or no. I have some of that but im all out of dr tims thought i had some left but apparently not. I tested phosphates and according to the test it was at 0. Ammonia was at .5 last night. So im waiting for the nitrates to spike up now. Im gonna do mostly zoas and palys. Maybe some acans and hammer heads.

Being dry rock, it won't support as large of an initial bio-load. However, since you are just looking to introduce coral, it should be alright. I probably wouldn't even bother adding more bacteria.

Is your phosphate test an API kit? If so, it has no way to detect levels as low as 0.03 ppm (since it's a high range kit and goes up in 0.25 ppm increments). That particular kit, while popular, is useless for determining acceptable phosphate levels for a reef tank.

Don't worry about a nitrate spike, ammonia is what you need to focus on. Any nitrate under 10 ppm is acceptable.

Tank is looking good! The key to a new tank is be patient!

Yup. Im patient enough to wait for any kind of fish. Idk what i really want yet but that will be decided when the weather warms back up.

Being dry rock, it won't support as large of an initial bio-load. However, since you are just looking to introduce coral, it should be alright. I probably wouldn't even bother adding more bacteria.

Is your phosphate test an API kit? If so, it has no way to detect levels as low as 0.03 ppm (since it's a high range kit and goes up in 0.25 ppm increments). That particular kit, while popular, is useless for determining acceptable phosphate levels for a reef tank.

Don't worry about a nitrate spike, ammonia is what you need to focus on. Any nitrate under 10 ppm is acceptable.

Yes its an api kit. What other kit is there that can test in the lower levels?

Archived