Cultivated Reef

Jay's 32g Scuba Reef

Jay Wee

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings Jay Wee,

From Singapore :D

Ha waddup fellow Singaporean!!! How u know I'm from SG bro?

Go for 1" sand. Looks natural

Oddly I really like the unnatural look of a bare bottom haha. But I also really want a white bottom. And I'm not gonna do white starboard. Heard its a death trap for detritus. And I'm not gonna paint my tank bottom. So I think 1" sand might be the best option. I'm thinking Tropic Eden Reef flakes.

Just use white neoprene type matting under the tank and trim it flush like a white yoga mat if you don't want starboard. Also, you won't notice a difference between starfire glass and regular glass once water is in the tank, it will end up lookin nice.

you taking down the Fluval M60?! you switch tanks like my rich friends switch cars =P

Haha! Dude I can't help it. I promise this is it. Gonna let this one properly mature. I don't know what I'm gonna do with the fluval m60. I'm trying to sell it but I might keep it as a Nem tank with a pair of high end clowns.

Just use white neoprene type matting under the tank and trim it flush like a white yoga mat if you don't want starboard. Also, you won't notice a difference between starfire glass and regular glass once water is in the tank, it will end up lookin nice.

I've thought about doing that but once I fill it with water and look from the front of the glass the bottom will pretty much be a reflective glass instead of white. I'm trying to go with a stark white look. So I think a super shallow sand bed might be good. And it'll make my brain coral happy.

Btw big fan of your tank! Have u ever thought about painting your vinyl pipe white? I'm trying to find a way to cover it so I don't have to worry about algae in the pipe later.

I've thought about doing that but once I fill it with water and look from the front of the glass the bottom will pretty much be a reflective glass instead of white. I'm trying to go with a stark white look. So I think a super shallow sand bed might be good. And it'll make my brain coral happy. Btw big fan of your tank! Have u ever thought about painting your vinyl pipe white? I'm trying to find a way to cover it so I don't have to worry about algae in the pipe later.

They sell white vinyl tubing (comes in 100 ft rolls), when I am not lazy I intend to buy some and replace it all lol. I stuck with a shallow sb.. 1/2 inch is what mine is and gets deeper in some places from the flow but caribsea special grade is heavy enough to not move too much.

Ha waddup fellow Singaporean!!! How u know I'm from SG bro?

haha! cause I am in SgReefClub too but I lurk around here more often than there. There simply lack of activity for quality information for nano tanks like ours :P

In any case, I am subscribing to your thread. Looking forward to your build :D

They sell white vinyl tubing (comes in 100 ft rolls), when I am not lazy I intend to buy some and replace it all lol. I stuck with a shallow sb.. 1/2 inch is what mine is and gets deeper in some places from the flow but caribsea special grade is heavy enough to not move too much.

100ft roll??? Haha. I'll find a paint that will work on vinyl. I think krylon's work well. I'll give it a shot and let u know.

haha! cause I am in SgReefClub too but I lurk around here more often than there. There simply lack of activity for quality information for nano tanks like ours :P

In any case, I am subscribing to your thread. Looking forward to your build :D

Nice! You SG reefers are crazy with the big tanks. Super impressive. I had no idea there's a big reef movement there. When I was living in Singapore 10 years ago I don't remember seeing LFS selling marine fish and corals. Back then people were keeping arowana and LuoHans. I still have a 6ft tank in Singapore with a really big high-back Red Tail Golden Arowana. He's almost 15 years old now. Check out this baby.

15955099066_cd43dbf1e8.jpg

15794857849_7555b9908a.jpg

Nice! You SG reefers are crazy with the big tanks. Super impressive. I had no idea there's a big reef movement there. When I was living in Singapore 10 years ago I don't remember seeing LFS selling marine fish and corals. Back then people were keeping arowana and LuoHans. I still have a 6ft tank in Singapore with a really big high-back Red Tail Golden Arowana. He's almost 15 years old now. Check out this baby.

15955099066_cd43dbf1e8.jpg

15794857849_7555b9908a.jpg

15 years! that is a some commitment!

Ah, reefing only became a craze after 'Finding Nemo' and you are right. There were not many marine LFS around Singapore then compared to now. As much as the marine scene is slowly getting stagnant here with a few regular shops importing stuff, it is still quite some ass-kicker when we get Cairns Marine and Fiji shipments.

Do bump me up when you decide to drop by the tropical island for a view :D will be happy to show you around the island and meet my gang of 'reef-nerds' ahaha

Thanks! What is Frank?

Frank is the Silver Arowana that used to try to eat people who came into the LFS I worked at. He was a solid 3' and named after Donny Darko's imaginary rabbit. He and I had an unstable relationship as well.

Frank is the Silver Arowana that used to try to eat people who came into the LFS I worked at. He was a solid 3' and named after Donny Darko's imaginary rabbit. He and I had an unstable relationship as well.

Damn! frank sounds like quite the beast. I remember feeding frogs, centipedes and crickets to beef up my aro. He was real aggresive and will try to attack my hands whenever I dip in to try and clean the glass. Now he's real tame and strictly only on pellet food. And he's letting us hand feed him.

Did you get that rock in yet man? Haha

Hey man, sorry been down with a cold. I got the rocks but haven't opened the box yet. I'll try and get to it tonight. :)

No worries, hope you feel better!

As promised... Here's pictures of the 15lb of Florida Reef Rock from Reef Cleaners. I've been a customer of John Maloney for many years and he does things right. I've always ordered CUC from him but this is the first time I've ordered these rocks. I like how its covered in holes and crevices. Makes it easy to stack and scape. I'm happy with what I got. I'm gonna break up the bigger pieces into smaller ones. I'll be using lots of smaller pieces to try and create an interesting scape.

15815523968_9e08b19f0a_c.jpg

15977131316_9422ccc93a_c.jpg

AND YES!!!! Finally something to update this build thread with. I GOT MY CUSTOM STAND! :D Props goes to Tony aka The Stand Man. He's a local guy in NY and he makes some of the best looking stands. I told him make me an ADA looking one but in a darker grey (To blend with my wall) and with the same side lip/vent but with a yellow accent interior and he totally delivered. Damn, I'm super stocked :D:blink::rolleyes:;) about this stand.

15380662184_c53df1e08f_z.jpg

15977131256_b95ec9d133_z.jpg

So I really dislike the look of the kessil gooseneck. Really Eeeewww. And since I'm going super clean, I don't want to see the gooseneck clamp to the back of my glass and all that nasty wires. :furious: So I got Tony to bend me this rod and bracket it to the back corner of the stand. Also sprayed it the same grey as my stand and wall so everything blends together.

15815523838_9d4e3d8c6b_z.jpg

And here where the coolness is... by simply loosening the thumb screw I can swing the rod away if I need to do maintenance or go crazy with vacuuming my sand bed. No more bumping my head on the Kessil and worry about it falling into the tank or the gooseneck breaking the glass. Such a simple cheap solution. Can't believe I never thought of this sooner. :D

15815646170_e8319dc27a_z.jpg

The rod is hollow so I can hide the wires inside! Now that's a floating Kessil. :rolleyes:

15815646370_bdbd10865d_z.jpg

16000943441_ff0172331c_z.jpg

Archived