Cultivated Reef

How many of these LED fixtures for a 10g?

j.snow

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of getting my 10g up and running and lights are my last buy. I'm a broke college student so I'm looking for something inexpensive, came across this this and this.

For a standard 10g, 20 wide x 12 high, would I need to buy two of whichever one I got? I'm not looking to keep anything super needy in there, just LPS and POSSIBLY sps in the future. But by then I plan on being back in a bigger tank with better lighting.

Thank you!

I'd probably go with the second one but I'm a fan of PAR bulbs. ;) Its got more wattage though and Chinese stuff like this you probably wanna go as strong as possible and just run a dimmer if its overpowering anything (which it shouldn't).

the second one says moonlight...

That's correct, it says moonlight but its a 12 led fixture with 8 blue and 4 white. From what I've read a 2:1 ratio like that is ideal, right?

I'd probably go with the second one but I'm a fan of PAR bulbs. ;) Its got more wattage though and Chinese stuff like this you probably wanna go as strong as possible and just run a dimmer if its overpowering anything (which it shouldn't).

Would I need two of them or do you think running one would be sufficient? I've never ran leds before I'm coming from a MH setup

I know it says moonlight, but light is light, right? ;)

If its a decent 24 watts, one should be good. If you find that any of your corals that are near the top still seem to be "reaching" for the light, then toss on a second one.

I know it says moonlight, but light is light, right? ;)

If its a decent 24 watts, one should be good. If you find that any of your corals that are near the top still seem to be "reaching" for the light, then toss on a second one.

Awesome thank you for the help!

Archived