Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

sooo.. what is this? and what do I do?

Wjcastiglione

Wjcastiglione

It appears like lil green bushes - I was hoping it was just growing pains of a new tank and they'd eventually go away - but they're getting longer - it's only on the back wall of my tank.

.... What is it? What do I do about it? Can I get something to eat it?

post-86110-0-90408900-1417815162_thumb.jpg

just patches of algae, likely attributable to the new tank as you said. how old is the tank?

you can either let them be or you can scrape and remove. I wouldn't scrape and let them settle on your rocks though.

Wjcastiglione

just patches of algae, likely attributable to the new tank as you said. how old is the tank?

you can either let them be or you can scrape and remove. I wouldn't scrape and let them settle on your rocks though.

Tank is probably about two months old now.

Tank is probably about two months old now.

yeah, your tank is young and this is common, sometimes algae growth like that will sort itself out and sometimes it wont.. my first tank had the entire back glass covered at around 2 months, then it subsided over the next month or so with some help from manual removal and some nutrient reduction.

it's obviously unsightly and the easy fix is to scrape it and remove it..

as always, it's a good idea to test your nitrates and phosphates (the root cause) and make sure you don't have abnormally high nutrients.

Wjcastiglione

yeah, your tank is young and this is common, sometimes algae growth like that will sort itself out and sometimes it wont.. my first tank had the entire back glass covered at around 2 months, then it subsided over the next month or so with some help from manual removal and some nutrient reduction.

it's obviously unsightly and the easy fix is to scrape it and remove it..

as always, it's a good idea to test your nitrates and phosphates (the root cause) and make sure you don't have abnormally high nutrients.

Just a razor blade to scrape?

Just a razor blade to scrape?

as long as your tank is glass, yes. if it's acrylic you need to use something softer, like a plastic aquarium scraper or an old credit card.

Wjcastiglione

as long as your tank is glass, yes. if it's acrylic you need to use something softer, like a plastic aquarium scraper or an old credit card.

Thank you for your help. Love your picture.

Archived