Coral Vue Hydros

ML's 40 Fusion! Upgrade Enroute

ml86743

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bad luck just keeps on comin...My poor starfish is loosing the tip of one his legs:( (I think) I came home today to find the stars leg inside the elegance corals mouth..I hope hes okay, he's just curling it up and down..almost looks likes he is trying to break it off. #2 My skimmer pump decided to stop working after a cleaning today which sucks haha...I've taken it apart probably 15 times to try and get it where it should be...but no Bueno. #3, the frogskin RTNed completely:(

BUT, the firefish is now back in the display after a healthy recovery:) Shes out and about doin her thang.

So...the spell of bad luck continues...

good ting stars have great regeneration abilities, as long as nutrition and parameters are excellent over the next weeks the arm if it falls off will be replaced. Sorry to hear of the frogskin, I hope nothing more bad happens.

good ting stars have great regeneration abilities, as long as nutrition and parameters are excellent over the next weeks the arm if it falls off will be replaced. Sorry to hear of the frogskin, I hope nothing more bad happens.

he seems to be recovering fine. Protein skimmer worked it's self out so not so bad luck :)

PSYCHED FOR REEFAPOLOZA

he seems to be recovering fine. Protein skimmer worked it's self out so not so bad luck :)

PSYCHED FOR REEFAPOLOZA

me too!!!

18996977902_7ee6d0a717_o.jpgIMG_1562.CR2 by Ty D, on Flickr

18814765008_59e46c984a_o.jpgIMG_1560.CR2 by Ty D, on Flickr

18814733200_0cd3d94418_o.jpgIMG_1557.CR2 by Ty D, on Flickr

These are my favvvv shots.

18814765638_9fca9c22c4_o.jpgIMG_1556.CR2 by Ty D, on Flickr

18379867384_1548d3af56_o.jpgIMG_1554.CR2 by Ty D, on Flickr

Moms sunflowers are growing nicely

18379867304_03448c788b_o.jpgIMG_1548.CR2 by Ty D, on Flickr

Today I trimmed my Xenia for the first time and it wasn't so hard! Really easy actually..

Enjoy the pictures:)

Nice fotos!

What camera are you using? DSLR? What type of lens?

me too!!!

Nice fotos!

What camera are you using? DSLR? What type of lens?

Thanks!! I have a T5i, and I'm using either the stock lens (18-55?) or I have a 55-250 telephoto. Looking into a nice macro lens sometime soon. If you own a cannon you should really check out their page for refurbished items. I picked up my telephoto refurbished for $79. Excellent quality too!

I've beeeeen super busy with work..no time for updates...But I think I have a theory to explain my SPS melt down. I believe it was actually all my fault because of an increased dose of 2-part..I don't know too much about alk swings but I believe that SPS do not tolerate those types of changes to well...especially the sensitive ones. My alk rose about 2.5 points...which I think is way to much of a change to be acceptable, especially if I ran it at the 8.3 for so long...my reasoning was more SPS more dosing. I should have gone through the whole process of testing and figuring out how much my tank would actually use up. That's only a theory..Im still have some issues. I lost my blue ric, and I that one section of zoas is still melting away...I had one of my pretty acans recede but it doesn't look like any of the others are. Still working out some kinks, Ill get some pictures when I have time.

Those are real nice probably got a sweet deal on them too right?

Yeah they were! I picked up some zoas, a couple montis, and a cool lookin cyphestrea

SO! I got a new fish....I've been looking for a pink streaked wrasse for the longest time and still have yet to find to find one...I was at the fish store last week and found a gorgeous mccoskers flasher wrasse:) He's beautiful:) I'll have pictures up later today...My cardinal fish also laid some eggs! Which is cooool! But I have no male to carry them around:(

Your tank is coming along great. That setosaa makes me want one.

Thanks! It's getting there...Ive lost a few corals the past couple months...Some are still recovering, both my green caps have brown areas right in the center. Just some weird shit to be honest...I lost a whole colony of zoas. But on the same note other things look better than they ever have....Its so annoying...OH I lost my beyotiful acans too:( I test everything I can test for but no suspect...

On the setosa note, you totally should grab one. Mine was growing extremely fast but has slowed significantly for some reason...awesome coral though!

My poor mother...I was headed out for a fishing trip this AM and I asked my mom to add my daily dose of reef fusion 1+2. I recently picked up the big bottles of Reef Energy and she got the two confused...you guys know how big the caps are that they give you for those suckers....50mL of A into the tank..I didn't have service at the time so she did a whole 5g WC after adding the Reef Energy lol...the skimmer was still on too so hopefully it sucked some of it out....

#reefmother.

I think this recent heat wave has been pissing a few corals off :( Tank still doesn't seem 100% so I keep testing and testing...results are always the same...I've been reading up about how some tanks go through changes throughout the seasons and at this point I am starting to believe my tank doesn't like summertime lol...This whole summer has been rough so far. Maybe the protein skimmer overflow disaster a couple months ago was the catalyst...who knows. It's all been very discouraging, almost to the point of giving up..But eff that. I have plans to win TOTM one day:)

Legendary Corals

18740365882_44faee7e11_o.jpg

The tank's looking amazing! TOTM I see in your future soon... :)

Any plans for that right island? The xenias really add pop to the left and the right looks like it could use something to take up that empty space up top.

18740365882_44faee7e11_o.jpg

The tank's looking amazing! TOTM I see in your future soon... :)

Any plans for that right island? The xenias really add pop to the left and the right looks like it could use something to take up that empty space up top.

Hmmm...Im not 100% sure yet, the palys in the back are growing nicely up the wall. But as I stated in previous posts, I'm very hesitant to add anything until (with the exception of reefapoloza lol) until I can get the tank squared away. My stylo has a little bleached spot on it as of today...There is some sort of imbalance I just cant figure out...One can only test so much haha...Results are always stable and where they should be...Im stumped...Over the past few months I've lost zoas, SPS, a ricordea, a leptastrea. Its crazy. The one thing congruent with my SPS troubles is a slight film of brown algae that starts to slowly grow, I blow it off everyday on my caps. This is literally driving me crazy...I just hope the issues subside and hopefully balance themselves out..until then I'll just keep up with normal routines and such. I've ruled out alk swings, low Ca or Mg...PO4 and nitrates/ammonia are where they should be...Which leads me to believe this little issue could be something to do with temperature or some sort or trace element I don't have a test for to be out of whack...In a nutshell here's whats been going on

Early May Skimmer overflow salinity droped from 1.025 to 1.022. Issue resolved.

About two weeks later SPS lost PE and color fast

Alk Ca, MG were all stable.

Tested PO4 and read approximately .025ish ppm

Added new chemipure/phosban(doner dose)

This whole timeline=dying/unhappy corals. LIke I've stated before I've been testing all along for the major entities and all have been stable.

I know I continue to repeat myself in my posts but I'm hoping somebody somewhere will read at least one and have some advice/similar experience. Nothing yet:(

But then I think about how the tank is still young, only 7 1/2 months at this point...maturation process? I DONT EFFING KNOW ANYMORE.

Help:)

BTW Thanks Darwin for the kinds words:)

Legendary Corals

As odd as it sounds, I'm sure we all have similar experiences. Most of the inhabitants in our tank will be thriving while some will perish for no apparent reason. I got a shipment of ricordeas and had a beautiful garden only to have them slowly melt off one by one over the course of a few months. And then I got a different batch and fast forward a few months they're thriving. I did absolutely nothing different other than get different ricordeas. That's the thing with livestock, there is no perfect recipe/ condition that we can make for each one. Even if they may be the same species of corals, they are still all living creatures and we can only try our best to accommodate their needs based on what we've learned over the course of years. And some just are emo and want to die lol. So try not to worry too much on the bits of corals here and there that don't do well. It's a much more fun and rewarding experience to focus on what you excel at keeping already.

In short: Your tank is still pretty bad ass and a few corals having slight hiccups here and there shouldn't stress you out too much. :)

I had that brown film algae problem on sticks before, they just catch it so easily. As long as you're religious with your water changes and siphoning those out the problem will solve itself eventually. I tried a product called Continuum Bacter Clean-M and had pretty good results along with my water changes. It basically loosens debris on your rocks and in the water and then allows you to filter it out.

As odd as it sounds, I'm sure we all have similar experiences. Most of the inhabitants in our tank will be thriving while some will perish for no apparent reason. I got a shipment of ricordeas and had a beautiful garden only to have them slowly melt off one by one over the course of a few months. And then I got a different batch and fast forward a few months they're thriving. I did absolutely nothing different other than get different ricordeas. That's the thing with livestock, there is no perfect recipe/ condition that we can make for each one. Even if they may be the same species of corals, they are still all living creatures and we can only try our best to accommodate their needs based on what we've learned over the course of years. And some just are emo and want to die lol. So try not to worry too much on the bits of corals here and there that don't do well. It's a much more fun and rewarding experience to focus on what you excel at keeping already.

In short: Your tank is still pretty bad ass and a few corals having slight hiccups here and there shouldn't stress you out too much. :)

I had that brown film algae problem on sticks before, they just catch it so easily. As long as you're religious with your water changes and siphoning those out the problem will solve itself eventually. I tried a product called Continuum Bacter Clean-M and had pretty good results along with my water changes. It basically loosens debris on your rocks and in the water and then allows you to filter it out.

Well awesome:) I really appreciate that feedback! That makes tons of sense though.

I guess I'll just keep doing my thing and let the tank do its thing hahah.

Just got the legendary e-mail for new stuff:):):)

Maybe we can fill up that right side haha..

• 2 weeks later...

I still have sps turning white :( Not RTN'ing but small sections, then comes the algae where the coral turns white.

Params are all where they have been

Alk 8dkh

calcium 460

mg 1500+

NO3 0

po4 undetectable

ammonia 0

salinity 1.025

Im really pissed off at this point...I've kept my temps stable...at the most a 2 degree swing, I test my water daily...I test my change water..

I don't know what else to do...Its not just SPS, I still have a few zoas just melting away...frogspawn bleaching. I just don't get it...If someone has any insight I'd appreciate it...I can provide you with any info needed.

Curious what are you settings on the light? The tank was looking great and hope it bounces back.

-Dave

whites are 255 and blues are 200 with ATI coral plus and true actinic. Honestly, I haven't even thought about light intensity...But I've ran the settings all along up until a couple months ago with excellent color and growth. But now that you mention it...(I don't know if this would make any sense) I adjusted to outlets which created less surface agitation...would that lead to increased light penetration? With the addition of GFO and new carbon...would that polish the water too much to allow too much light penetration? Just some ideas...

Archived