SaltCritters.com

Finally added DI to my RO system. TDS from 10 to 0

reefernanoman

reefernanoman

I got my three stage RO way back since 2007 and didn't have the DI resin until today. I would usually get a TDS reading of 10 ppm without the DI, but now it is down to 0. My corals have always been colorful all this time(2014), but I'm assuming this will help with my hair algae problem since I have heard that DI also helps bring down phosphates. Does anyone else here use water with TDS higher than 0?

reefernanoman

Dang even 10 out of the ro membrane is not too bad. Any idea what the tds going into the first stage is?

Well I tested my tap water in a glass and it's like 310ppm+.

Then 10 is only marginally OK. That is only 96.7% rejection rate and you would like to be at 98-99% with RO only if possible. If you replaced the RO membrane with a more efficient one your DI life with probably quadruple or more. Back when I had a less efficient RO my RO only TDS was between 13 and 15, that is with a tap TDS of 860 so still respectable but not good enough for me since my DI only lasts 150 measured gallons. By going to a 99+% efficient RO membrane my RO only TDS dropped to between 2 and 3 and my DI life went to over 1,000 gallons per cartridge.

The national average TDS is around 250 with the Southwest being some of the highest, as high as 1600 or more here in metro Phoenix to as low as 50 in places like Atlanta and the Pacific Northwest.

The best thing you can do for your RO/DI is to use softened water if you have it available, membranes love softened water.

reefernanoman

Then 10 is only marginally OK. That is only 96.7% rejection rate and you would like to be at 98-99% with RO only if possible. If you replaced the RO membrane with a more efficient one your DI life with probably quadruple or more. Back when I had a less efficient RO my RO only TDS was between 13 and 15, that is with a tap TDS of 860 so still respectable but not good enough for me since my DI only lasts 150 measured gallons. By going to a 99+% efficient RO membrane my RO only TDS dropped to between 2 and 3 and my DI life went to over 1,000 gallons per cartridge.

The national average TDS is around 250 with the Southwest being some of the highest, as high as 1600 or more here in metro Phoenix to as low as 50 in places like Atlanta and the Pacific Northwest.

The best thing you can do for your RO/DI is to use softened water if you have it available, membranes love softened water.

Yeah, my house has a water softener(absolutely necessary here in SA TX), so that is a big plus.

Archived