Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blenny Eating the Side of Red Planet!

RealReefs

I picked up a 3-4" frag of ORA Red Planet the other day and yesterday I noticed a white spot on the side of the frag with minimal coralites and polyps. I believe the culprit is my Bicolor blenny. Any thoughts? Ive already ruled out bleaching, AEFW and any other bacterial disease or pest. Ive wittnessed him pick at some other corals occasionallyI think he has gone a little too far this time. ??

I recently got rid of a Linear Blenny for killing my Ponape Birdsnest and my Reef Tech Monti Cap.

So you would believe it to be the blenny killing it?

So you would believe it to be the blenny killing it?

Definitely, they all have different personalities. I have a Midas Blenny now who is a great tank citizen, but that linear blenny was hell.

Definitely, they all have different personalities. I have a Midas Blenny now who is a great tank citizen, but that linear blenny was hell.

Great to hear! Yeah, I was thinking about replacing him with a Midas Blenny as well! Thanks for the help!

Great to hear! Yeah, I was thinking about replacing him with a Midas Blenny as well! Thanks for the help!

No problem, I caught mine within 20 minutes by using a water bottle fish trap.

No problem, I caught mine within 20 minutes by using a water bottle fish trap.

Alright, I will probably catch him tonight and return him to the LFS

I had a bicolor that destroyed all of my sps (5 frags) and a big Davis colony in two days. I don't think they try to eat the polyps, they actually try to scrape the algea off. It was the biggest pain catching him. I actually had to remove every single piece of rock in my tank to catch him.

It's really too bad he didn't work out. He was a very cool fish and my kids loved watching him.

I have had no luck with comp tooth blennies. I had a bicolor eat several favias before I caught him. I have had other comb tooth blennies that feed on coral as well.

The following blennies have been reef safe for me though:

Midas (but turned into a huge jerk)

Orange Spot

Starry

Horned(my current blenny)

I had a bicolor that destroyed all of my sps (5 frags) and a big Davis colony in two days. I don't think they try to eat the polyps, they actually try to scrape

the algea off. It was the biggest pain catching him. I actually had to remove every single piece of rock in my tank to catch him.

It's really too bad he didn't work out. He was a very cool fish and my kids loved watching him.

Yeah, he was a great fish, but he had to go especially when he's picking on a very nice coral.

I have had no luck with comp tooth blennies. I had a bicolor eat several favias before I caught him. I have had other comb tooth blennies that feed on coral as well.

The following blennies have been reef safe for me though:

Midas (but turned into a huge jerk)

Orange Spot

Starry

Horned(my current blenny)

I was considering a Midas but was too scared to try another blenny. :/ So, I returned him and replaced him with a blue streak cleaner goby, Talbot's Damsel/Chromis, and my new pride and joy, my Splendid Dottyback!

Sorry your blenny didn't work out. They are cool little guys. It's a roll of the dice with any blenny and SPS.

Yes, I very much agree. He was a very fun fish but, needed to go as my corals are more important especially my ORA Red Planet!

My Tailspot is a model citizen in a tank full of sps- he picks around on the glass and areas of the rock but doesn't go near the sps ?. I keep him feed well though with feedings twice a day

I just got a Midas last week. I did a ton of research before hand and all seems well. So far, I like him much better than the bicolor. He has his blenny giddy hole, but he spends a lot of time swimming around and perching on things.

My Tailspot is a model citizen in a tank full of sps- he picks around on the glass and areas of the rock but doesn't go near the sps ?. I keep him feed well though with feedings twice a day

I only feed once a day or every other day. But, I am heavily considering getting a tailspot as my next fish. Im not sure though because I have heard of them eating SPS as well.

I just got a Midas last week. I did a ton of research before hand and all seems well. So far, I like him much better than the bicolor. He has his blenny giddy hole, but he spends a lot of time swimming around and perching on things.

That's great to hear! Midas blennies seem to be really cool fish. Im just scared after my expierence with my bicolor. ?

I am now on my second midas. Both have been model reef citizens and balance out the aggressive nature of my douchenozzle flame angel.

First one went carpet surfing not long after I went open top and upgraded to led. Screen top to be made this Friday!

No issues here with the Tailspot and my tanks pretty much all sps- lfs said they were good with sps too?

Sounds good I may have to try one in the near future! ;)

I am now on my second midas. Both have been model reef citizens and balance out the aggressive nature of my douchenozzle flame angel.

First one went carpet surfing not long after I went open top and upgraded to led. Screen top to be made this Friday!

I do really enjoy Midas blennies but decided to go with the smaller fish route so I would have more fish making the tank look more lively! Thanks for the help though! :)

Archived