Coral Vue Hydros

Sump setup for nano or pico

mkram9

Hey all, just wanted to get some thoughts on something.

I love the idea of pico or nano tanks, for space and time saving. However I also love the idea of a sump to hide the filtering, heater, etc (and to add macroalgae). These things can be a huge eyesore in a pico or nano tank, as you all know.

It doesn't seem to make sense to drill a pico tank and add an external sump with overflow. That can cost 3x what the tank/lights cost.

Is there any product out there that allows these things to be hidden inside a tank? In other words, an internal sump? I know it'd have to be really small, but it seems like it would be possible.

Any thoughts?

Right. So I guess my point is that I want to turn a normal tank into an AIO-type setup. For example, it'd be really cool to turn a rimless / simple / elegant aquarium into an AIO with just an internal box that looks like an overflow.

Most AIO systems lack the elegance of, say, the Ecoxotic EcoPico tank.

Am I making any sense? :)

Um, Chris' Pico Aquariums are pretty nice looking.

Better than the ecopico.

Pretty Elegant, and he takes custom orders. You can make it as elegant as you wish.

Back in '10 he helped me design a pico surge tank with built in protein skimmer.

Very inelegant, but pretty cool. Too bad it never was built.

Right. So I guess my point is that I want to turn a normal tank into an AIO-type setup. For example, it'd be really cool to turn a rimless / simple / elegant aquarium into an AIO with just an internal box that looks like an overflow.

Most AIO systems lack the elegance of, say, the Ecoxotic EcoPico tank.

Am I making any sense? :)

Gotcha...have to agree with Farkwar on Pico. Any DIY AIO tanks I have seen are anything but "elegant", and if elegant is the look you want I would leave it to a professional.

You can do what I did,order a cadlight tank (cheap and low iron & any size) order a sheet of black acrylic probably 1/4" and drill 2 holes to accept a 1/2" drain (lifeguard strainer) and return (1/2" locline) some aquaroum safe silicone and call it a day. Mine looked really good and not like it was done by Ray Charles lol.

Or what I did and build a corner overflow with some black ABS pipe, drill for two drains (one as an emegency backup. I had to restrict the primary drain to keep it quiet and at a full siphon, so the emergency can handle more that the max flow of the pump) and a return, build a sump, and call it a day (or three by the time I refitted, rebuilt, and reengineered a few things).

IMG_1193_zpse67c1592.jpg

IMG_1246_zpsb22e373f.jpg

No pictures of it set up right now. Between a three day power outage (no heat or flow) and being a bit neglected this semester, things aren't looking too good. Although the acan is loving the not so prestine water and has gotten quite fat dispite the lack of feedings and sprouted 6 new heads (mouths?).

I don't know about unattractive. I've seen some pretty neat conversions using acrylic. But you have to be competent cutting, finishing and gluing it to get a neat finish.

Basically all these all in ones are is a false back to the tank with an overflow slot cut in one top corner, some baffles like a sump creating compartments and a return pump and duck bill jet allowing an amiable return flow and limiting the need for additional power heads.

So you could take any tank and make it all in one with a sheet or two of acrylic or glass if you were so inclined and some diy skills.

I built my own version of the marine pac for my 46 litre fluval edge that I found very successful.

Basically it was a diy overflow box with a 5 litre volume and no drains, but instead big enough to house heater, an inbuilt skimmer, LR rubble, uplift algae scrubber and a return pump.

Try not to over complicate it... the AIO concept is awesome, but I think takes up a lot of room and you don't gain a whole lot. If I were you I would buy an Aquaclear HOB (hang on back) power filter and mod it with a media basket. This gives you the benefits of an AIO.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-70-Media-Basket-AC70MR.htm

There is a media basket available for pretty much every size filter...

Archived