Top Shelf Aquatics

Phosguard, cpe or rowa

dottybackss

I am looking for some po4 remover to put into a hob filter for my 40g breeder with heavy bioload. The no3 is always stay at 0 but the po4 is around 0.05. I am using rodi also. So which po4 remover is the best for me?

I just started rowa. I started my tank using saltwater so i like that this removes silicates as well. Stuff aint cheap but i read alot of good reviews. Plus no need for a reactor like gfo.

You can use most GFO and Resin based phosphate absorption media without reactors. I'm currently running an ATB Carbon ROWA phos mix in a nylon media bag in the return chamber of my 35G's sump. This is a passive way of DOC and Phosphate absorption which means they will be removed less efficiently compared to a reactor. I just can't justify adding another pump to power a reactor to my system as my tank is already heating up more than I'd like and it's still fall where I reside.

I'd say that Rowa is a more quality product. Thus the higher prices. With higher prices comes higher quality in this case.
If you're on a budget then go for Phosban. Plenty of people use it and have seen good results with it.

I use phosguard, imo it's the better option if you're not using a reactor. gfo will tend to clump, phosguard is little pellets and they don't clump. also, if you have a clam then phosguard is the preferred phosphate reducer..

Because phosguard doesnt lower the kh right? Lol

:huh: wat?

if you have a clam, ferric oxide supposedly helps feed the protozoan that causes pinched mantle and contributes to clam death.. nothing to do with kh..

I dont have clam at the moment right now but I might get one later. How much phosguard do i need to handle a 40b gallon with a 4.7 gallon hob refugium? I tried a little phosguard once before but it doesnt seem working.

I don't subscribe to that theory. As long as you use the recommended 10 grams per 10 gallons or less aand start out slowly with a lesser amount, not the ridiculous BRS recommendation it is not a problem.

I dont have clam at the moment right now but I might get one later. How much phosguard do i need to handle a 40b gallon with a 4.7 gallon hob refugium? I tried a little phosguard once before but it doesnt seem working.

I don't remember off the top of my head, I have a 40b and I think I use like 1/2 of a cup..

directions from seachem:

"For best results, PhosGuard™ should be placed so as to maximize the flow of water through it. It may be used in a canister filter, box filter, or any high flow area of a trickle filter. In some situations it may be necessary to use in a filter bag. Use 250 mL (~1 cup) for every 300 L (75 gallons*). Leave product in place for 4 days, then test phosphate or silicate concentrations with either MultiTest: Phosphate™ or MultiTest: Silicate™. If the concentration of the component you are trying to decrease has not dropped to around 0.02 mg/L, then replace the PhosGuard™, otherwise leave in place until levels begin to climb again. As long as concentrations remain under control, the product is not exhausted. Each 500 mL of PhosGuard™ treats over 600 L (150 gallons*) (i.e. will remove up to 30 mg/L phosphate in 600 L (150 gallons*) of water, depending on the initial phosphate/silicate concentrations and the current biological load. Over treating is not recommended. PhosGuard™ is not an exchange resin, it does not release anything into the water. It does not leach phosphate or silicate back into the water and may be removed, dried, and returned to service until exhausted. Continuous use of small quantities is better than intermittent use of larger quantities."

Caution!

May generate heat on initial contact with water. Pre-wet by adding to a double volume of freshwater (e.g. 250 mL of product in 500 mL water), followed by a rinse."

Archived