Top Shelf Aquatics

The new Kessil A160WE

LarryC

I cant decide whether to purchase one of these for the nanocube 28g or wait for a killer deal on the 150 when everyone else decides to upgrade.

The color control on the a160we and 15% increase in brightness over the 150 seems hard to pass up though!

The ability to use the controller was a big factor for me. I like the fact I'm not tied to a web browser, or have to install anything on my computer to get started like the Radion/AI.

I am really tempted to get 2. I'm fine with a gooseneck but I'm not sure how good they are for SPS dominant tanks yet. It's cheaper than a Nanobox Quad but I'm unsure so far.

I am really tempted to get 2. I'm fine with a gooseneck but I'm not sure how good they are for SPS dominant tanks yet. It's cheaper than a Nanobox Quad but I'm unsure so far.

I'm in the same boat as you...Larry you'll have to let us know how they are when you get them in! Does anyone know the release date?

Smithjm5 they're available now. See my link at top of thread. FedEx delivery is tomorrow (Saturday) for me.

Oh wow I thought it was for pre-order! Let us know tomorrow how they are I want to get 2 for my 36x18x12 just not sure if it be enough for sps, what do you plan on keeping?

Oh wow I thought it was for pre-order! Let us know tomorrow how they are I want to get 2 for my 36x18x12 just not sure if it be enough for sps, what do you plan on keeping?

Why not something more suited for that size tank like a hydra 52 or something if wanna do sps.

Why not something more suited for that size tank like a hydra 52 or something if wanna do sps.

I don't think one hydra would be enough coverage length wise

A hydra 52 I think so.......

I'm not saying for a fact it wont, from what I've been reading most people with tanks 36" long or more don't use just one light. I honestly don't know if it would be enough light. If it is then yea that's a no brainer over the 2 kessils. I just couldn't find the spread measurements online.

A single hydra 52 will not cover a 36" tank fully. Two hydra 26 units would.

Two Kessil's would work good as well. Not as much control as the hydra units but enough control and can be controlled with bluefish or Kessil's own controller.

A single hydra 52 will not cover a 36" tank fully. Two hydra 26 units would.

Two Kessil's would work good as well. Not as much control as the hydra units but enough control and can be controlled with bluefish or Kessil's own controller.

That's what I figured, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the 160's will be powerful enough for sps...

I don't know why Kessil doesn't mention it, but the A160's come with both a bracket for the goosenecks, and clips to hang with wire-mounts. The brackets supplied with the goosenects are too large for the A160's; therefore, you use the brackets supplied with the lights instead.

I've finished installing the pair of A160's along with the controller on my IM Fusion 30L.

A few things you should be aware of regarding the lights/controller. When installing 2 goosehecks, it takes quite a while bending these to visually insure they look equal. First one was a little higher than the other, then the other had more of a bend at the top. Sometimes I had to remove the mount because I didn't want to put unnecessary stress on the rear glass wall. I spend an hour on this, but now these are a near perfect mirror image of one another.

If you use two lights like I did, you need to buy an additional link cable to link the two together. If you also use the controller, then you have to use another cable which is supplied in the box. And then there's the power cable. All in all, one of the lights will have 3 cables wrapped around the gooseneck. It's not a pretty sight. In the box you'll find 3 cable ties for each light. I have to admit, because of the 3 cables, one of the lights looks pretty bulky.

If you purchased the controller, then you need to have two cable ALWAYS attached to it, and plugged in. One is a USB cable, and the other is a link cable. When you see a picture of the controller, you don't see any cables attached to it, but if you watch a video, then you'll see the cables are plugged in. If you unplug any cable attached to the controller, then the settings revert back to the knobs on the light and not your saved controller settings.

Because I'm using 2 lights, the fans are now the loudest thing in my setup. It's more noticeable than my skimmer, reactor, or pump.

Now the good. The tank looks truly awesome. The fish/corals took on a unique glow. I never realized just how beautiful the colors are. If I had to do it over again, I would.

I've finished installing the pair of A160's along with the controller on my IM Fusion 30L.

A few things you should be aware of regarding the lights/controller. When installing 2 goosehecks, it takes quite a while bending these to visually insure they look equal. First one was a little higher than the other, then the other had more of a bend at the top. Sometimes I had to remove the mount because I didn't want to put unnecessary stress on the rear glass wall. I spend an hour on this, but now these are a near perfect mirror image of one another.

If you use two lights like I did, you need to buy an additional link cable to link the two together. If you also use the controller, then you have to use another cable which is supplied in the box. And then there's the power cable. All in all, one of the lights will have 3 cables wrapped around the gooseneck. It's not a pretty sight. In the box you'll find 3 cable ties for each light. I have to admit, because of the 3 cables, one of the lights looks pretty bulky.

If you purchased the controller, then you need to have two cable ALWAYS attached to it, and plugged in. One is a USB cable, and the other is a link cable. When you see a picture of the controller, you don't see any cables attached to it, but if you watch a video, then you'll see the cables are plugged in. If you unplug any cable attached to the controller, then the settings revert back to the knobs on the light and not your saved controller settings.

Because I'm using 2 lights, the fans are now the loudest thing in my setup. It's more noticeable than my skimmer, reactor, or pump.

Now the good. The tank looks truly awesome. The fish/corals took on a unique glow. I never realized just how beautiful the colors are. If I had to do it over again, I would.

Any pics? Also when you say the fans are loudest thing, you mean the fans in the lights right?

SpencerShepard

Also, I've taken to using split wire loom over the gooseneck and cables for my builds. It cleans it up nicely. Next time I'm at my shop I will try to remember to take a pic.

Split wire loom:

wire-loom_cables.jpg

Archived