Top Shelf Aquatics

Help regulating alk in 12 gallon tank

fronty

12 gallon Fluval edge

I've been having issues maintaining alk levels in this tank. It has dropped all the way to 5dkh. I have been increasing alk by dosing baking soda. I then tried o maintain it with kalkwasser (1tsp per gallon), but it did not maintain. I think it is due to not having much evaporation. I was using the drip method. My tank only loses about 1 to 2 cups a day.

Since the kalkwasser wasn't working, I switched to daily dosing of baking soda. I dose about 1/8tsp a day to maintain alk of 8 dkh. I hate to do a daily dose. I'd prefer the kalkwasser method. I would like a more automated process, since I will miss a day here and there if I'm out of town.

What are my options? Should I try to just add a more concentrated dose of Kalkwasser? I guess I could go with a 2 part system with a doser, but that is a lot of equipment for a small tank.

Whats in the tank? Hard corals? Clams? Growing coraline?

You basically have three options: 1) Kalk, 2) 2-part, 3) Calc reactor.

Calc reactor obviously wont work for the tank size so you need to either dose 2part or kalk. Remember that alk/calc/mag are consumed in "usually" a very exact ratio so if the tank is consuming alk it will also be consuming the other two, but at what appears to be a slower rate because their concentrations in seawater are much higher.

Archived