Cultivated Reef

New Nuvo 8 and sand question....

cmb2104

Hi everyone! I'm new here... and been reading quite a bit! I just ordered the nuvo 8 (should arrive later this week) so I'm gathering supplies now! I noticed a few of you have this same tank..... are there any necessary upgrades needed? Im not going to do anything too crazy in it, mainly a clown, cleanup crew and maybe a few coals later on.

My next question, black sand or not? I have seen a few that look nice and some not so nice.... and I guess thats true of the regular sand too..... what sand do you prefer/recommend and why?

yes i know you cant use magnetic cleaners or have sand sifters....

thanks!

I appreciate any advise!

Sweet! Welcome to the club.

Did you order a white one or a black one? Black sand is a personal preference. It does show dirt rather easy though. I have a white nuvo 8 so I got white sand. As far as upgrades I would say the light and the media basket are the only things that need upgrades. The light will work but I thought they made everything look washed out.

itank makes a great media basket for this tank. The one it comes with is pretty useless.

:welcome: to the addiction! I was thinking black sand too until I heard and then saw how dirty they can look. Unless you are cleaning daily you will probably want white. But hey, you can always try one color then switch. ;) Good luck on the tank, I was torn between the 8 and the 10 but I finally chose the 10. (shipped as we speak)

thanks for the input... after looking at alot of pictures... i think i have decided against the black sand. however my brother is getting the biocube coral life 29 next week as well... he is doing black sand for sure!

I went with the 8 for two reasons.... the curved glass ( no seems) and it was on sale! $167 (reg $199)

we took advantage of the black friday specials! we saved a ton on the biocube too!

now my issues is finding a stand for the 8gal... its going in the bedroom but im not putting on the glass nightstand LOL

Had black sand in a 8 gallon for a year... It was magnetic and would get stuck in my vortec impeller! Plus it looks dirty when detritus settles on it. I will never buy black sand again...

Polarcollision

:welcome: You're going to love your Nuvo 8! They're great little tanks.

Intank media basket for carbon, purigen, phosguard if needed, and filter floss. Also a stronger light when you stock corals.

Auto top off if it gets old adding RODI every day. If you can find a skimmer to fit the media basket chamber, your life will be much easier too. The TOTM icon below is my tropical nuvo 8 and the temperate system icon is also the Nuvo 8.

Thanks guys! I cant wait for it to arrive! If mine turns out half as nice as your I'll be happy! .... now if i can just something to put the thing on!!!

I'll probably do the upgrades as I go... I'm not doing corals or anything right away anyways.

also wondering.... would a skimmer on this tank make a HUGE difference? or just a little.... also do you guys use the innovative marine filter media or replace it with something else?

also wondering.... would a skimmer on this tank make a HUGE difference? or just a little.... also do you guys use the innovative marine filter media or replace it with something else?

I don't think so. I do 50% water changes weekly and that seems to keep everything in check and only takes about 5 minutes.

For media I have chemi pure elite and pillow stuffing. The stuffing gets changed every few days to keep it from becoming a nitrate trap.

I really do not think a skimmer is necessary on a tank of this size. You should really just rely on keeping you fish stocking smart and weekly water changes to export and import nutrients. If you really need help keeping nutrients down, you can use something like chemipure or purigen and that should be plenty for 6-7 gallons of water.

I would def recommend upgrading the light if you are planning on keeping coral. The stock light will work for some beginner stuff like zoas and palys, but pretty much anything else will want more light.

You should look into upgrading the media basket. Also, once you are adding more coral, you may want to increase the flow in the tank and provide some alternating flow. You can upgrade the return pump to a mj-900 and add a spin stream to achieve a good amount of alternating flow, without having to add a powerhead to what is already limited space.

I basically went down this exact path with my nuvo8. Feel free to read through my thread and message me with any questions you have. I also am selling my nuvo and may decide to part it out as I have not been able to find anyone to buy it as a package. I could work a deal with you for any of the upgrades. Let me know if you are interested.

I don't think so. I do 50% water changes weekly and that seems to keep everything in check and only takes about 5 minutes.

For media I have chemi pure elite and pillow stuffing. The stuffing gets changed every few days to keep it from becoming a nitrate trap.

pillow stuffing? as in cotton?

I really do not think a skimmer is necessary on a tank of this size. You should really just rely on keeping you fish stocking smart and weekly water changes to export and import nutrients. If you really need help keeping nutrients down, you can use something like chemipure or purigen and that should be plenty for 6-7 gallons of water.

I would def recommend upgrading the light if you are planning on keeping coral. The stock light will work for some beginner stuff like zoas and palys, but pretty much anything else will want more light.

You should look into upgrading the media basket. Also, once you are adding more coral, you may want to increase the flow in the tank and provide some alternating flow. You can upgrade the return pump to a mj-900 and add a spin stream to achieve a good amount of alternating flow, without having to add a powerhead to what is already limited space.

I basically went down this exact path with my nuvo8. Feel free to read through my thread and message me with any questions you have. I also am selling my nuvo and may decide to part it out as I have not been able to find anyone to buy it as a package. I could work a deal with you for any of the upgrades. Let me know if you are interested.

oh wow, i didn't realize you were in orlando also! I will definitely msg you about the parts! where do you shop locally... there arent many on my side of town :furious:

Welcome to the Nuvo 8 club - I have a list of all the 'extras' I added inn my build thread.

I went with the stock lights for a few months, and got all kinds of softies to grow. My first upgrade was the inTank basket, with filter floss and Purigen. I upgraded the pump to a Rio 180 and it provides all the flow I need to reach all the corners.

I finally purchased a Tunze ATO that's on its way now. That's probably the last upgrade for a while. I considered the skimmer option, but I think my water change schedule (25% weekly) is working well.

oh wow, i didn't realize you were in orlando also! I will definitely msg you about the parts! where do you shop locally... there arent many on my side of town :furious:

Wow, i didnt realize you were local either. I jump around between living reef, top shelf, and world wide coral mostly. Ill reply to youre pm later today when i get some more time.

Yep, pillow stuffing. I found some at Hobby lobby for cheap, like a huge ass bag of it for under 5 bucks or something and it will probably last like a year. Jut put a small layer on the bottom of your first shelf in your media chamber and change it when it starts looking funky.

pillow stuffing? as in cotton?

I think it's synthetic. I just bought it in a bag from walmart and I've been using the same bag for years now. Just basic pillow stuffing, not flame retardant stuff.

I forgot about an ATO. Maybe it's not a huge issue in Florida but when the temperature dropped here I had a huge problem keeping up with evaporation. Now I have an ATO and it keeps my salinity perfect.

I think it's synthetic.

Yep, typically it's polyester, which I believe is the same as what most filter flosses are made from. I just started doing the same as you. Much cheaper to get it in the pillow stuffing form from Walmart.

good to know! about the stuffing! i will try it! i dont think evaporation will be an issue.... we have a 10g qt tank up right now and its been the coldest weather we get the last few weeks.... its fine.

Wow, i didnt realize you were local either. I jump around between living reef, top shelf, and world wide coral mostly. Ill reply to youre pm later today when i get some more time.

we have been going to sea in the city lately... its the closest i have found to us... and their prices seem to be good. i just got a snowflake clown today! :D hes in qt tank now but hes gonna go in the nuvo! it should be here tomorrow! i really liked top shelf as well we got one of our cleaner shrimp there but its almost an hour drive.

Cool, I forgot about Sea in the City. I got my O. clown there. They have some very healthy looking fish and quite the clown selection. I bet that snowflake is nice. I didn't have a chance to look at their coral much while I was there but have heard it isn't bad. You should check out World Wide Coral and Top Shelf. Coming from Clearmont, they wouldn't be much further than Sea in the City.

Cool, I forgot about Sea in the City. I got my O. clown there. They have some very healthy looking fish and quite the clown selection. I bet that snowflake is nice. I didn't have a chance to look at their coral much while I was there but have heard it isn't bad. You should check out World Wide Coral and Top Shelf. Coming from Clearmont, they wouldn't be much further than Sea in the City.

top self i have been too and with traffic was over an hour drive.... world wide itsnt too much further... maybe 10 min extra.

but we are very happy with sea in the city. my snowflake came out to $32! and they get alot of their clowns from ORA. she said they havent been selling well this month so she discounted them and then 15% off all fish thru the weekend.... mine is very vibrant! there was another snowflake with more white but i liked the orange!

ugh... nothing worse than shipping delays :o hopefully tomorrow....

Archived