SaltCritters.com

Pump Selection for Mame Overflow

Eisernes

I'm looking at a few options for the Mame and wanted to see what experiences and thoughts that people have here. It has to be quiet and it has to restart the siphon 100% of the time.

Sicce 3.0 - Silent by most accounts, however I have read reports that they have a short life.

Jebao DC-6000 - I have the Diablo version of this pump in my 40b and love it. 3000 would not be strong enough IME. Would a DC pump work well with a HOB overflow? Not real excited about the Jebao name.

Any feedback is welcome. If I didn't list one that you have great reviews for then I would love to hear about it.

A few weeks ago I was looking into all the pumps for the mame and I went with the Tunze 1073.02. It's very quiet - the vortech is louder and it's always restarted the siphon. Every water change I have just turned back on the pump and the siphon has started back up.

The one problem I ran into wasn't with the pump but rather the tubing. Home depot/Lowes tubing is horrible and too stiff. I'm using the tubing from marine depot(1inch and 5/8 inch) which is much better. I then had to use a reducer with the output for the Tunze.

I'm looking at a few options for the Mame and wanted to see what experiences and thoughts that people have here. It has to be quiet and it has to restart the siphon 100% of the time.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_1260_Pump_500_to_1000_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Aquarium_Pumps-Eheim-EH1046-FIWPSBFT-EH1260-vi.html'>Eheim 1260 - Expensive but quiet and people have commented that they have been using one for 15 years or more with no trouble

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Recirculation_Pump_Powerhead_Silence_Fixed_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Tunze-TZ1737-FIPHFF-vi.html'>Tunze 1073.020 - Some say quiet, some say not. This one is on the recommended list for the overflow.

- Silent by most accounts, however I have read reports that they have a short life.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-DC-6000-Return-Pump-Aquarium/dp/B00INTDJJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417296625&sr=8-1&keywords=dc+6000]Jebao DC-6000 - I have the Diablo version of this pump in my 40b and love it. 3000 would not be strong enough IME. Would a DC pump work well with a HOB overflow? Not real excited about the Jebao name.

Any feedback is welcome. If I didn't list one that you have great reviews for then I would love to hear about it.

Why Jebao 3000 wouldn't work? Just curious since mame overflow specs states that it's rated for flow rates between 90-180 gph/360-720 lph.

The DC pumps on the market lose a lot of power from a little bit of head pressure. The Mame specs state 90-180gph but the pumps they suggest are much more powerful than that at 3-4ft of head. Based on my 6000 I just don't feel like a 3000 would cut it. Could be wrong though.

The DC pumps on the market lose a lot of power from a little bit of head pressure. The Mame specs state 90-180gph but the pumps they suggest are much more powerful than that at 3-4ft of head. Based on my 6000 I just don't feel like a 3000 would cut it. Could be wrong though.

Interesting observation about head pressure restrictions of dc pumps. I just received my Jebao 3000 and I have to say that it produces quite a flow. However, I have only tested in my 30g tank which is used for mixing salt water. I will have to test if it is really the case with these pumps to loose head pressure. Other then that, I do like it a lot so far. Thanks for clarification.

They suggest different pumps for different size tanks. For my 90P tank which is 48G they recommend a 900gph pump. I went with the DC-6000. The documentation suggests a minimum pump gph of 530 for worry free siphon.

I am sure they are taking into account head height for the recommended GPH.

They suggest different pumps for different size tanks. For my 90P tank which is 48G they recommend a 900gph pump. I went with the DC-6000. The documentation suggests a minimum pump gph of 530 for worry free siphon.

Mine is a 20g. I like the idea of getting the 6000 even though it's more than I need because I could always just run it on a 3 or 4 if need be. Really can't be wrong on the pump size when it can be as strong or weak as you want it to be. You are the first person I could find on the internet who uses a DC pump with a mame and I probably will too just because I like my diablo so much.

Archived