Top Shelf Aquatics

New Clown Under Attack

TeamIM24

We bought a juvenile clown yesterday and when we dropped it in the tank our juvenile six line attacked it immediately and wouldn't stop. The clown is so small it can't get away at all and wound up getting chased/sucked into the overflow twice. We wound up feeding everybody and then turned off the lights and hoped for the best. This morning the clown was still alive and hiding in the live rock but as soon as the wrasse woke up the attacks began again.

The clown has stayed in the front left of the tank by the thermometer. The wrasse acts disinterested and then starts attacking. Thankfully when I place my hand on the glass the wrasse runs away and it doesn't bother the clown at all. We bought a breeder cup this morning and the clown swam right in it so it is safe now. The wrasse has been so out of sorts it has attacked our Royal Gramma twice this morning but they seem to be doing fine now.

I know wrasse being aggressive towards a new fish is normal. We have a neon goby as well and overall the goby and RG didn't mind the clown at all. A couple times when the wrasse was on the other side of tank the clown started to venture away from the top corner but as soon as it did the Gramma would come over and herd it back. It never attacked it, the RG just opened its mouth wide and pushed it back to the top left corner.

I have been told to leave the clown in the breeder cup for 2-3 days and then remove the cup. Has anyone else gone through this? Does 2-3 days do the trick?

I think the better move might be to stick the wrasse in the breeder cup to give the clown a break and to disrupt the territorial behavior of the wrasse.

We were thinking the same thing. At least for the time being the clown is getting a rest. If (and it is a big if) we can catch the wrasse we will make the switch.

Update ** We put the clown in the DT this morning after a week in the breeder cup and all is well. The wrasse did attack it about 15 times but has left it alone now for about 4 hours and they are swimming all around each other. The Royal Gramma and Neon Goby haven't paid it hardly any attention at all. Seems like the breeder cup did the trick for us.

This little clown just wasn't meant for us I guess. We found it dead this morning on top of the filter floss in the overflow. It was a really small clown but I wouldn't have guessed it would slip through there. I am wondering how it wound up on that side of the tank. Since we released it on Saturday it had stayed between our spin streams and had never even ventured to the right side of the tank. The wrasse had totally left it alone and it was doing great. Bummed that it went through the grate. The overflow slits are really thin on our IM 24 so I don't even know if there is anything we can do to prevent this in the future that wouldn't restrict the flow. We are thinking that if we get another clown it just can't be a tiny one for the same reason.

Any suggestions on keeping fish from slipping through the overflow on an Innovative Marine tank?

I had a similar problem with my boyu tl550, small clown got sucked in, luckily he survived. What i did was put some sponge the other side of it, it required cleaning every couple of days, but didnt harm flow at all. The clown seemed to have learnt his lesson though as he hasnt been near it since. But i like to be safe just incase

I had a similar problem with my boyu tl550, small clown got sucked in, luckily he survived. What i did was put some sponge the other side of it, it required cleaning every couple of days, but didnt harm flow at all. The clown seemed to have learnt his lesson though as he hasnt been near it since. But i like to be safe just incase

We have the original filtration pack that came with our IM 24. I may see if I can cut one of those and stick it back there to see if it will work.

Archived