ReefCleaners.org

Raising baby seahorses?

vlangel

I am thinking of offering my 6 week old captive bred seahorses to local hobbyist for $15. They will be totally on adult brine shrimp which multiple lfs's sell. They are still a lot of work as the adult brine shrimp must be enriched and cleaned daily, a nursery tank needs to be set up and cleaned rigorously and eventually you would want to wean them on frozen mysis. My question to you folks, knowing that captive bred seahorses costs $120 from Ocean Rider, would you take a chance on a very young, thus not as hardy baby seahorse to have the satisfaction of raising it plus the significant cost savings?...or is the risk factor too high?

I wish I have my tank ready I would take a pair...;( Hoping you would have more when I am ready.

I am sorry, I did not explain that seahorses this young do not ship well. My plan is to offer them to folks who can come to my house and pick them up, (I didnt explain that very well). Unless you live near Pittsburgh, PA it wouldn't have worked out anyway. My question here is more of an opinion poll just to see if people would consider it.

As a prospective first time seahorse keeper, I wouldn't. I guess it also depends on the cost but I would hate accidentally killing them. It'd crush me. That's a lot of effort for any first time sea horse keeper. I would want a pair old enough that can eat other stuff just in case something goes wrong with the brine shrimp.

But if I was local, it would be incredibly tempting, but also daunting.

As a prospective first time seahorse keeper, I wouldn't. I guess it also depends on the cost but I would hate accidentally killing them. It'd crush me. That's a lot of effort for any first time sea horse keeper. I would want a pair old enough that can eat other stuff just in case something goes wrong with the brine shrimp.

Thank you, that is the sort of perspective I am looking for. I don't really like the idea of sending my little babies into situations where their chances are greatly diminished nor do I want to discourage a budding seahorse enthuisist.

I agree absolutely. Even for an experienced fishkeeper seahorses are very much a challenge. I would be interested but I would probably not get any because of the difficupty combined with their fragility. I get attached to my fish and like the above, I'd be too concerned about killing them accidentally.

I agree absolutely. Even for an experienced fishkeeper seahorses are very much a challenge. I would be interested but I would probably not get any because of the difficupty combined with their fragility. I get attached to my fish and like the above, I'd be too concerned about killing them accidentally.

Thanks for the input. Your comments are helping me lean toward not offering them at such a young age. Maybe I should hold off until they are completely weaned on to frozen mysis and I don't know what age that will be?

Either way, as long as they are not 150 a pop you would crush ocean rider in sales in your area.

I might crush them in sales but definitely not in profit. With enrichment and salt for water changes plus food I will be lucky if I break even, LOL.

Truth. But really, whoever breaks even in this hobby? I also ride horses and take private lessons with an FEI dressage trainer, now that's a true money pit of a hobby! I can't even say I am any good. Lol my husband must love me something awful to fund these expensive hobbies! At least you can make something back. That's more then most of us can say :P

Truth. But really, whoever breaks even in this hobby? I also ride horses and take private lessons with an FEI dressage trainer, now that's a true money pit of a hobby! I can't even say I am any good. Lol my husband must love me something awful to fund these expensive hobbies! At least you can make something back. That's more then most of us can say :P

Ha ha! I grew up in a horse family and I will agree, that is a money pit. We had American Saddlebreds. Well, we only get to go through life once, so we should be willing to spend some money doing things that bring us and others joy, right?

Archived