Coral Vue Hydros

Blue Reef Chromis mouth fungus

DriftingNemo

So today I picked up this adult Blue Reef Chromi and I made the number one mistake of not closely inspecting the fish before buying it. When I got home, acclimated him and once he started to come out of hiding I started to notice fungus on his bottom lip. I only have a small colony of GSP and a tiny mushroom coral in my tank. I have a bottle of MelaFix which says that it's safe to use in both fresh and saltwater. Should I try and dose MelaFix to try and cure this little fella? I don't have a quarantine tank setup. Is there some other medication that I should try?

Here's a photo

post-84007-0-46568500-1417130716_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, I've had extremely good luck with yogurt. If you can get some yogurt on that fish, it will cure it,

I don't plan on eating it anytime soon :) I might stick to MelaFix and see how it goes... What kind of yoghurt works best? Greek? Strawberry? Chocolate?

Melafix works great and is completely safe on corals. It will make your skimmer foam a lot so I would turn that off for a couple hours after dosing.

Melafix works great and is completely safe on corals. It will make your skimmer foam a lot so I would turn that off for a couple hours after dosing.

I don't even have a skimmer lol. I removed the activated carbon from my canister and dosed 60 gallons worth of melafix. The fish is eating like there's no tomorrow, he is swimming around the tank which is surprising since I've only had him less than 24 hours.

Just make sure you dose until the mouth is healed completely.

Yeah I will do. I'll probably dose for another couple of days after the mouth is healed just to make sure the fungus is gone completely. The lip still has fungus, but the eyes have cleared up.

Archived