inTank Media Baskets

New clown fish

Wjcastiglione

Wjcastiglione

Hey guys,

So I had one fish in my tank to cycle it a couple weeks ago - it was just a chromis - and it died right after I added my clean up crew - because the nitrates went through the roof. (I believe that was the cause anyways)

I watched my levels for a week - everything was zeroed after a water change.

I added in these two clown fish 5 days ago. They're cool... but they're weird - first things first, they chased their reflection for roughly the first 2-3 days - and now they're just hiding in the corner of the tank.

The food that the LFS originally sold me they made in house and claimed they fed all the fish with it, but they would eat it and spit it out - So I bought some pellets and finally got them eating yesterday.

I'm just worried that they're not out and about - my buddy bought the same two species of clowns on the same days and his are all over his tank - mine just hide in the corner. However, he has much more rock.

My levels:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Salinity 1.024

temp 76-77

Any ideas why they're not very active? Could maybe adding more rock push them out?

post-86110-0-12969900-1417114975_thumb.jpg

Clowns should be swimming around. More rock work will not really make a difference. I have 2 sets of clowns in 2 separate tanks and they are usually all over the place. What size tank? What test kits are you using? Your nitrates won't be zero. They should be a measurable amount. Ammonia and nitrites should be zero.

Wjcastiglione

Clowns should be swimming around. More rock work will not really make a difference. I have 2 sets of clowns in 2 separate tanks and they are usually all over the place. What size tank? What test kits are you using? Your nitrates won't be zero. They should be a measurable amount. Ammonia and nitrites should be zero.

29g biocube. I'm using API test kits. The amount is not measurable. I've tried numerous times - and it will come out as zero. The kits are brand new and have not been left in light/extreme heat, etc. I'm running a skimmer and chemipure elite with filter floss.

They seem happy - but are just chilling in that corner. They're not at the surface gasping for air, etc. none of that.

Wjcastiglione

So, I just opened my lid to do more testing - the fish came out and came right to the front of the tank like they were going to get fed.... I would take that as a good sign. I investigated both fish to see if they had any signs of ich and nothing that I can see on them.

The only real difference I can tell with the tank lately is there more algae on the rocks and there's a lil bit of algae on the back wall that wasn't there before (take a look at the picture attached)

Testing numbers:

Ammonia - (I cant tell - have attached picture - would this mean something is dying in the tank?)

Nitrite- Very clearly 0

Nitrate- Very clearly 0

Temp- 76 degrees (should I turn this up a degree or two?)

Salinity- 1.024

In regards to the ammonia - I just added a piece of live rock from the LFS that was straight purple with coarline - I was hoping that the coraline would transfer to other pieces of rock... could this be the die off causing the ammonia?

post-86110-0-63193600-1417117244_thumb.jpg

post-86110-0-64105700-1417117245_thumb.jpg

Ammonia could be coming from the fish as your bacteria catches up with the new bioload of the fish. My clowns are not the most active swimmers either and they can be timid when first added to your tank. Mine are very lazy imo as they are always trying to lay down on the curved part of my return nozzle or they just hover within 6 inches of it except when I feed them.

It all sounds good with bioload adding ammonia. I am sure your clowns will be out and about more once they have get used to the tank. It took awhile for the coralline to transfer over to new rock from one.

My clowns were weird for the first week or 2. As long as they look healthy and are eating well, I'd say just give em some time to get used to their new home.

Wjcastiglione

I'm happy to report that they're starting to eat a lil more and be much more active - so, I'm happy. Things are good!

Good to hear! I was going to say that my clown typically just chills in the palythoas that he hosts, or in the GSP's, or the frogspawn. Not much of a swimmer unless someone goes close to the tank, and then he likes to come out and say hi. He definitely has an appetite though.

Regardless, the 'chilling in one place' doesn't seem abnormal to me. Especially if they're eating.

Archived