Cultivated Reef

HOB REfugium vs Intank Refugium vs Custom Caddy Refugium 30g AIO

JeffyT

What do you guys think?

I really want a mandarin or some Ruby scooter blennies but I want enough pods in the tank for them.

Intank Refugium would be the cheapest option.. but its ugly having it just hang inside the tank.

HOB refugium.. a little pricier and it would look bulky hanging from the side of my tank since all my wires for my equipment run through the back.

Custom Caddy... i really don't know much about making one of these. seems like its just cheato stuffed into the caddy with a 10W submersible light...

Some people told me to just stuff cheato and the light into the heater column of my AIO and call it a day

I'd say get a HOB refugium since it'll add a large volume to your tank plus the pods/critters will simply fall back into the main tank.

When I ran a HOB refugium, I would see tons of pods all over my main tank.... but ever since I took it down and changed my tank into an AIO, my refugium is located in the back chambers (located before the return section), I don't see as much pods as before.

If you do get a HOB refugium, buy one soon (Black Friday sales) or Craigslist. Of course, there's 2 types:

CPR HOB Refugium (expensive but adds more volume into your tank and it'll definly ensure that you'll have a large supply of pods)

-or-

Buying a Finnex/Marina breeder box and changing it into a refugium (cheaper but doesn't hold as much)

I was thinking about getting a pico 4 gallon and just turning it into a refugium and connect the water lines? ive seen the CPR aquafuge for like 55 dollars it looks ugly because its inTANK. THe HOB refugium is kinda pricey just to hang on the back or sides.. i think another refuge tank would be nice.

I was thinking about getting a pico 4 gallon and just turning it into a refugium and connect the water lines? ive seen the CPR aquafuge for like 55 dollars it looks ugly because its inTANK. THe HOB refugium is kinda pricey just to hang on the back or sides.. i think another refuge tank would be nice.

That's a good idea, you can probably make a separate display refugium.

I have the CPR AFSM the 1st gen and I love it. It's hanging on the back with my reactor. Only thing I did was paint the front to keep the light out of my main tank and made a custom return so it Goes rt into the main tank. Attached pic of return

post-86183-0-66056800-1417190414_thumb.jpg

Archived