inTank Media Baskets

First reef: 10 Gallon AGA: Major update!

aquarium

Markburns43

Might stress the clown, hoes the clown react? Skiddish or like whatever. I'd assume the damsel will omit territory after a while but make sure it foesnt get worse than just charging.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the clown doesn't seem to react much, and sometimes he bites back. The damsel is charging less often every day, so I hope they can live together. :)

Uh..... Well I have no idea what happened. My pH had always been around 7.8-8, but, when I tested today, it was in the 8.2-8.4 range (not that that's a bad thing). But, what happened??! I haven't changed anything.

Markburns43

Whats your kh at? If its dropping due to added corals youve been adding there using up the calcium and alk which could cuase a swing in ph. When in doubt change a gallon or two out lol. Or youve changed salt mix maybe? Gonna have to post all your test mainly ph kh calc mag if you have one.

Short update, no pics yet.

The HOB fuge is gone, and has been replaced with an API superclean 30. The cyano has been steadily fading so hopefully that's all cleared up. I also bought some LRS reef frenzy. Everything is healthy, and I have noticed very slight coral growth. The damsel has been very well behaved an has not really been aggressive.

As per earlier comments, I do not have a test kit for calcium, kh or magnesium. It has been on my list for a while so I have been doing many household chores and have earned enough money to order one, so that's on its way. I currently have an api saltwater test kit, and have ordered an api reef test kit.

I'll post pics soon

• 3 months later...

HEY you still coming on? Hows the tank

Still here, I've been at camp this summer so my parents have been taking care of my tank for a while. The cyano is all gone, but I am still grappling with hair algae. When I have a real update I'll post with pictures.

I love that damsel so beautiful. I love damsels' nature to dart in and out of coral

He is very entertaining to watch, and he (or she) is so well behaved for a damsel.

gavinsepanik

I saw one at the lfs that looked just like it, was about to to grab it for my 10 aga but my cycle is only halfway done (algae bloom) :(

I can't wait for the cycle to be done so I can continue the build thread haha. It's sooo hard to wait.

gavinsepanik

Also I've heard that api kits are fairly unreliable from very experienced people on RC might be something to put on the list of upgrades.

• 1 month later...

This thread is seriously out of date. so prepare for a major update tomorrow!!

Also I've heard that api kits are fairly unreliable from very experienced people on RC might be something to put on the list of upgrades.

Thanks! I have the kits I need for now, and I am kind of tight on money (I recently fell into a lake while fishing and had to buy a new phone...). this also means that I have to dig out a very old camera, so don't expect amazing pictures.

Hello again!

So it’s been a while since I last posted, and looking back I think the tank has come a long way. And with 20/20 hindsight, my earlier posts and that tank from the past look, well… stupid. With that in mind let’s move forward and break this up into segments.

Algae:
throughout this tank’s lifetime it has always been plagued by some form of algae. And despite all my attempts to stamp out this pestilence, it has always remained. Now the dark clouds are beginning to recede. All of the cyano is gone, and the hair algae is steadily fading. Every week there is less of it and when I remove it, it stays gone. The tank is also seeing an upsurge of coralline algae. Edit: in my last water change, the hair algae had such a weak hold I could vacuum it off the rocks with my siphon.

We can analyze some of the reasons for my algae bloom:

• Fish: I have too many, simple as that. I also added them too quickly. There is nothing I can do about this.

• Food: while I was away this summer, my parents were overfeeding.

• Water changes: I was away for around three weeks twice this summer, during this time I tried to stretch my water changing so that my parents wouldn’t have to do it.

Coral:

Here is good news too. My leather coral is enormous, and the clown loves to hang out in it. I fragged it last night as a trial (I’m going to have to do this when it runs out of space). There was a small piece that looked like it was developing into a new head, so I cut it off and glued it into an old frag plug. The frag looks happy so far, and the mother colony is fine too.

DSC00007_zpsz2awf5jr.jpg

Picture of new frag next to mother colony

The frogspawn is also very happy. I cut the base of the frag plug off and glued it to the rock last night, so its still not fully out yet, but it is definitely happy. When it was fully withdrawn, I could see it had multiple heads. When I bought it, there was only one, and I couldn’t tell under the mass of tentacles.

DSC00006_zps33ypxacy.jpg

Picture of frogspawn

DSC00013_zps6u99aupe.jpg

Closeup of frogspawn

I recently purchased some zooanthids and glued them down, they are doing very well but I don’t know the name of this particular variety. If you know what they are called (or can make up a convincing name), please let me know.

DSC00002_zps51y5p5gg.jpg

DSC00012_zpsvhejmwsg.jpg

Zooanthids

I also have some unknown paly hitchhikers that came in with my toadstool. One has been there for a while, but I noticed some baby polyps too. Any insight here is much appreciated.

DSC00014_zpstcgjlgdo.jpg

Unknown palys

Equipment:

I purchased an API superclean filter, and am running their bio chem zorb (carbon) cartridges and purigen. This filter has been working very well for me and I like the fact that you can adjust the flow and that it has a built in surface skimmer.

My dad and I are still working on the led system. There is one thing left to do and I can’t do it without him. He has been very, very busy so I just have to be patient.

Livestock:

Not much has changed here, nothing has died, nothing is new. Most things have grown, so here are some pictures.

DSC00009_zpsercdz0na.jpg

Maxi mini

DSC00008_zpsf1navxyo.jpg

Rock flower

DSC00015_zpsouhbmezj.jpg

Best picture of goby (taken with zoom from far away)

DSC00005_zpsuq1kphga.jpg

Damsel

DSC00003_zpsxydbynar.jpg

Clown in frogspawn

Thanks for taking the time to read through all this! And happy 1st birthday to my aquarium!

Man your lucky you have a school like the one you were accepted into close to your house. If I could leave my highschool and go there I would in a heartbeat. I'm going to be setting up a 29g biocube and will probably use a 10 gallon frag tank/ sick tank so this is very helpful.

Man your lucky you have a school like the one you were accepted into close to your house. If I could leave my highschool and go there I would in a heartbeat. I'm going to be setting up a 29g biocube and will probably use a 10 gallon frag tank/ sick tank so this is very helpful.

oh! i just realized I didnt update. I am not going to tabor academy. unfortunately we were not offered any financial aid. i am going to a school in portsmouth rhode island that offered me a scholarship. they have a marine science course but I was still very dissapointed. my parents did send me to a marine science camp in florida where got scuba certified. The school is like an hour an a half drive, so I will be a boarding student, but I plan to come home on weekends.

oh! i just realized I didnt update. I am not going to tabor academy. unfortunately we were not offered any financial aid. i am going to a school in portsmouth rhode island that offered me a scholarship. they have a marine science course but I was still very dissapointed. my parents did send me to a marine science camp in florida where got scuba certified. The school is like an hour an a half drive, so I will be a boarding student, but I plan to come home on weekends.

Might want to teach your parents the proper feeding and what to do I'd something goes wrong. After all if your going to be away all week something might happen.

Might want to teach your parents the proper feeding and what to do I'd something goes wrong. After all if your going to be away all week something might happen.

yes, I just spent today typing up detailed instructions. But I will go over it with them and maybe demo a water change

Aquarium levels:

Nitrate: ~0

nitrite: 0

Ammonia: .25 (using api kit, so this might not be real)

pH: 8.2-8.4

calcium: 480 ppm

dkh: 10

phosphate: <.25 (hard to tell)

just thought I'd let you all know. people are usually curious about this

Archived